Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 09-19-2005, 09:31 AM

Default $11-Impatient at the bubble?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter

Hero (t4595)
BB (t5910)
UTG (t1450)
Button (t1545)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t375) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t400</font>, Hero calls t400.

Turn: (t1175) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t5285</font>, Hero...

Thoughts:
Preflop: Getting 3 to 1.
Flop: My c-bets have been either getting called or raised. I thought he might check behind. With that big bet, I think there's a good chance he might be bluffing at it. He's recently taken down a lof of pots without showing his cards.
Turn: Decent card for me. I'll c/r. If he has a pair less than aces (he might, he was in the BB,) he might give it up here.
Turn push: Oh damn. He's probably got Ax now. If he is holding just an A, I still don't think I have the pot odds to call. But he's pushed about 1/3 the hands he's had, and had a lot of people fold on him. This could be a full out bluff.

Should I have just passed preflop to the big stack? Passed to his flop bet? What a mess.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:36 AM

Default Re: $11-Impatient at the bubble?

u gotta think about more than pot odds...this isn't a cash game...u lose ur chips u are done...

i wouldn't like to throw 2k chips against the big stack with 2 stacks that are 1/3 my size left and when i only have a flush draw with the 7 kicker...
Old 09-19-2005, 09:37 AM

Fold pre-flop and on all streets. If your going to take a crack at it, I'd just bet the flop and give up if called. Getting mixed up with the big stack with a marginal hand when 2 others are short stacked is not smart.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:40 AM

your equity pf was 32% of the prize pool, or $32 for a $10 tourney

if you lose because you don't hit that flush or you are out-kickered on the flush, then you lose $32...

if you were to get it and win, you'd only be up to $45...so you are risking $32 to gain $13

if you are a good player hu, then you are actually risking more, because your equity is more than $32 right now if you are the most skilled player
Old 09-19-2005, 09:42 AM

fold pre flop... your hand sucks.

Fold flop, your hand sucks

fold turn, your hand sucks

fold river, your hand sucks

you never had correct odds to call. your hand was never strong. save your chips!!!
Old 09-19-2005, 09:57 AM

This is about what I figured. Thanks everyone. I'm going to go give myself a swirlie.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:28 AM

fine.. you shouldnt have been in the hand to begin with. But you got a decent flop and a decent turn, why not call the turn bet and see river. I think check raise was a little too aggressive you didnt have enough information and really you put up too many chips to find out. I think a reraise of the exact amount wouldve served the same purpose. You didnt have enough odds to call for flush but you did pair so that opens up more outs supposing all your outs are live. I wouldve at least called.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:07 PM

You're right, chok, I think it is worth a call on the end if I've already messed things up that bad.

[ QUOTE ]
I think a reraise of the exact amount wouldve served the same purpose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does everybody agree with this part? I've always avoided minraising like the plague. But at the $11 level, I think some players are scared off by any raise. And in some places a minraise can be even scarier. I'm often in a situation where I'd like to minraise because a real raise comes close to committing me.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:42 PM

if i even chose to play this hand [ and it's a big if ], i would've raised 800 pf with it [highly player dependant, especially since you're raising into a BB that can hurt you]. otherwise, BB gets a walk.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:26 PM

I don't think he meant that it was worth it to call the all in on the turn. I believe he meant you should have just called the turn bet instead of checkraising. This gets you a river for 600 instead of your whole stack. You always have to be mindful of the stack sizes of remaining players, don't get involved with the one guy that can send you packing without the goods.