Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 09-13-2005, 11:50 PM

Default more annoyed losing buy ins than $$$

I've recently switched from playing mostly limit HE to NLHE and PLO, and I've found that while I've generally been enjoying the games, I get much more annoyed/tilted by losing a $25 buy in or two than I would losing 10-15 big bets at 2/4 or 3/6 limit -- especially when I lose most of the money in 1 or 2 hands (it bothers me less to lose a bunch of small pots).

I'm afraid that this is causing me to play too passively and to fold the best hand too often or to "quit while I'm ahead" rather than taking advantage of playing with a big stack.

I don't know what it is, but having to rebuy feels embarrassing, like I've failed or have been "beaten", even if I know that I got all in with the best hand. In limit games I don't get the same negative feeling, even when I lose larger amounts of money or get outplayed.

Did anyone else have this reaction when switching from limit to NL/PL games?

FWIW, this shouldn't be a bankroll comfort issue as I have over 70 buy ins, have experienced much steeper swings in limit games, am overall up a few buy ins since making the switch to NL/PL, and my poker bankroll is entirely "fun money".

Were it not for my reaction to losing $25 buy ins, I'd probably move up to the $50 buy in games as I think I could do well at those if I had the stomach to drop a buy in or two without it affecting my game.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:56 AM

Default Re: more annoyed losing buy ins than $$$

I had a similar reaction - it killed me to lose a $25
buyin even if I was up $100 for the day. It just seems
to magnify things when you go down to the felt, even if the
money is the same.

It is easier now, but the losses still feel a bit more
"important". The adjustment is gradual for me.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:19 AM

lol, I actually had a similar reaction to limit after playing NL b/c in NL its very easy to find your mistake. You lose x buy-in b/c you didn't raise the turn or you lost a coinflip or you ran into a concealed monster. Limit the money just seems to disappear. I never can point to an exact hand where I made a key mistake that made my night losing only small mistakes that cost me a fraction of a bet.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rather than taking advantage of playing with a big stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is generally no inherent advantage to having a bigger stack than the buy-in cap.

EDIT: To answer the inital question, do you play tournaments at all? Have you considered playing low-limit 1-table SNGs just to get yourself accustomed to the idea of going broke?
Old 09-14-2005, 03:56 PM

I have played a fair number of SNGs -- it doesn't bother me as much when I finish out of the money because the moment I enter the SNG I think of the money as gone and I can only win money or stay the same.

When playing cash games I guess I need to do a better job of not thinking of the money on the table as "mine".

I don't worry when my flush loses to a rivered full house in limit because I know it will happen x% of the time and it's just part of the game and I shrug it off and play my next hand. I know that it will happen x% of the time in NL/PL too, but rebuying bugs me. I think I've managed to be pretty good about not focusing on my wins/losses while I'm at the table in limit, but having to rebuy in NL/PL makes it harder to ignore.

I'm sure it will get easier over time. Maybe I just need to set some artificial limits when I start playing so I don't have to think about while it is happening (e.g., "I will play for 3 hours and buy in whenever I need to" or "I will rebuy up to 3 times then take a break").
Old 09-14-2005, 03:59 PM

Switch to a lower limit game and focus on playing correct, not the amount of money you are up or down. You are too results orientated and focused on the big wins possible in NL. Break free of that restriction and NL can be a great place to play. NL players grind it out just like the limit players do.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:55 PM

He is already playing well below his bankroll, the point was that he's not psychologically accustomed to losing all the chips he has on the table.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:30 PM

I suggest getting used to clicking rebuy... all the time. Not just when you're broke, but if you're down to 70% of the cap... click rebuy.

Losing your stack at NL is equivalent to losing at showdown in limit. If it's never happening to you, you're leaving money on the table.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He is already playing well below his bankroll, the point was that he's not psychologically accustomed to losing all the chips he has on the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then he is not playing low enough. He needs to play at a level where the chips have absolutely no value to him. Play money may be the best place for now. Perhaps a very low limit tourney, where the chips are just chips.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then he is not playing low enough. He needs to play at a level where the chips have absolutely no value to him. Play money may be the best place for now. Perhaps a very low limit tourney, where the chips are just chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT.