Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Thoughts and results.

Just read results after posting my response. Surfdoc is absolutely right. For this player to be liberally 3-betting your raises, showing the lack of respect, there's no way he's laying down QQ, regardless of how much of a good card reader he is. Without a flush or other obvious draws out there, a move to have him lay it down would be futile.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:16 PM

Default Re: ATs and a nice flop.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop. I don't understand the preflop cap either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the open raise preflop is fine.

As far as capping, I've got a nice suited ace in a big multiway pot with two bad players. Also, Villian could be raising me light, so it's not certain I'm up against a monster. There is a small chance I have the best hand plus if he has some medium pair he may misread my hand on a scary board. I also want to notify him that 3-betting me with marginal hands is going to get expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

you stated:

[ QUOTE ]
Villian is a tight aggressive player

[/ QUOTE ]

and that:

[ QUOTE ]
I open raise UTG

[/ QUOTE ]

why in the world would you think he's 3 betting you lightly?

have you been open raising, been 3 bet and then c'f flops?

-Barron
Old 09-12-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly because the game was recently short and I'm not certain that he has re-adjusted to full table conditions. I know that he will lighten up his 3-betting standards when the game gets short, and also against me if it pertains to any type of steal/resteal situation since we have a history there. In a prior session, I open raised from the Hijack, and he 3-bet me in the CO with A2s.

I guess I'm saying that I really didn't think he needed a huge hand to 3-bet me here.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly because the game was recently short and I'm not certain that he has re-adjusted to full table conditions. I know that he will lighten up his 3-betting standards when the game gets short, and also against me if it pertains to any type of steal/resteal situation since we have a history there. In a prior session, I open raised from the Hijack, and he 3-bet me in the CO with A2s.

I guess I'm saying that I really didn't think he needed a huge hand to 3-bet me here.

[/ QUOTE ]

either full or short if he's knowledgable he's looking not at the # of the players, but at the # of players YET TO ACT behind you at the time of your raise.

Barron
Old 09-12-2005, 07:42 PM

wow i was wrong. im usually right when i read a hand in these posts. oh well.

i think i mistook your opponent for wily. id watch out for him, he sounds good. 3 betting you with A9s 5 handed is not raising light, it's solid TA play.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow i was wrong. im usually right when i read a hand in these posts. oh well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it can be tough to respect anyone else's opinion when you're just about always right. I must be farther away than you think, if that's possible.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:02 AM

I would personally just start off with a call before the flop instead of a raise. If you weren't suited, is probably a fold in that position.Being suited, it's now worth playing, but of course,suited hands like more compant, so why decease the value of your hand by raising? Back to basics.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I lost to QQ as some posters guessed.

My main question was on the flop/turn line I took. Highlife suggested checkraising the flop to get 4 bets in, and I think this is a valid line that would have worked.

After the hand Villian said he didn't raise the turn because he thought I could have kings. So now I'm wondering, if I smooth call the flop raise and checkraise him on the turn, or him + another player on the turn.....it looks like a big hand: flopped set, or a big pair. He might lay down QQ. From a pot equity perspective it can't be that bad with all my outs, and I know that the chance he lays down is > 0.

Anybody like waiting for the turn to checkraise/represent a monster and try to push him off of an overpair?

[/ QUOTE ]

That guy is folding QQ on that board about never. I think you played the hand fine. Just need a heart to hit next time.