Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 01:05 AM

Default Give \'em Enough Rope...

...was the best album ever, long live the Cla--wait wrong thread.

Villain here has been around only 30 hands, but has proven to be an excellent, excellent ATM. He started out incredibly passive, his high point being calling the river with a straight because of a runner-runner diamond 3-flush on board. He's got around a 56% VPIP and will almost always sees about the same percentage of showdowns. He's been getting a good bit more aggro over the past orbit however, and this hand really surprised me. My play will probably surprise you.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
MP1 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Yeah you read that right. Here's my reasoning: the guy clearly thinks he has a monster here, and frankly I see no reason to show him otherwise. If I raise here I may make him fold if he's just had enough of me and is bluffing (I've been running over the table the last 20 minutes), or at least quiet down if he's got the trips that it looks like he has. So why not just call and raise the river here? If I'm really lucky I might even get trifectaed [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Anyone like this, or is it just FPS? Would this be a play better reserved for when there are callers?
Old 09-12-2005, 01:14 AM

Default Re: Give \'em Enough Rope...

Personally I think this is better with others in the pot. He has seen you as a TAG, so he'll put you on an overpair, and I think if ya 3 bet you get to call a cap and then check/raise at least on the river, maybe cap it too
Old 09-12-2005, 01:17 AM

I hate this play. Maybe he does have trips and his monkey ass will continue to raise and reraise against your nearly unbeatble hand. Theres no reason to make "sophisticated" plays against unsophisticated players. Hes gonna pay you off regardless, why let him off easily.

I'm also reraising the flop, OR just calling with the intention of raising the turn. Giving players like these too much credit is silly...and btw, Sit Ubu Sit
Old 09-12-2005, 01:21 AM

Way too much FPS IMO. I don't mind the flop call if you were planning on raising the turn, but this guy's never gonna put you on QQ. You give up on a great opportunity to let him beat his brains out against you for the turn and river. He might go nuts all the way to showdown, so get as much out of him as possible, as quickly as possible.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the guy clearly thinks he has a monster here

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems FPSish if you think this.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:55 AM

meh. go to war.

i don't mind that you simply called the flop (if you were planning on raising the turn). well, he didn't let you raise the turn. he check raised you. he will probably cap the turn if you 3-bet here.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:56 AM

When are you gonna change your avatar?
Old 09-12-2005, 02:04 AM

Oof, didn't think responses would be that cold to it, but okay.

Anyway, a different question real quick. Villain showed down Q9o. Preflop aside, was his flop checkraise correct here? Top pair isn't too great here against a 3-bet, but given that the first PFR checked and I was on an auto-bet, should he be trying to protect a pair of nines here in case I have AK?
Old 09-12-2005, 02:11 AM

his problem is calling preflop (both times). given that he made two mistakes preflop, i think he played this flop as well as he could've.

btw: i told you so.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think he played this flop as well as he could've.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, technically he could'nt have "protected" his hand in this situation against anyone holding 2 overs, yet he still made the effort to get it HU. I highly doubt he did this intentionally, but whatever.