Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 03:53 AM

Default Here are some stats ...

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback.

I just downloaded a free trial of PokerTracker, it only tracks 1000 hands, which I know is a useless sample size to analyze, but even so ... here are the stats from my bad spell:

----------------------------------------------------

.50/1.00 Omaha Hi-Lo Limit

Total hands: 819
Vol. put in pot: 22.47%
Vol. put in money from SB: 29.25%
Won $ WSF: 24.35%
Amount: -$72.97
BB/100 Hands: -8.91
Went to SD: 40.22%
Won $ at SD: 50.46%
PF raise: 1.46% (this rather surprises me, Weak-tight?)
Hi/Lo won: 6.23% (Hi)
Hi/Lo won: 2.44% (Lo)
Hi/Lo Scoop: 4.15%
PF aggr. factor: .07
Flop aggr. factor: .40
Turn aggr. factor: .74
River aggr. factor: 1.32
Total aggr. factor: .39
Folded SB to steal: 0
Folded BB to steal: 0
Attempt to steal blind: 0

----------------------------------------------

I'm not sure if this tells you anything, but what I do find curious is my weak limping, followed by increased aggression as the game went on. If I was running so bad ... shouldn't the agression go DOWN on each street?

I can partly explain this by mentioning I am very fond of betting strong draws ... but that doesn't explain the river aggression.

Overal analysis: Weak tight preflopper / post-floper steamer?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Best,
Zim

(PS Regarding the 6 hands in 6 hours for PLO8. As I am a Limit player, that was an experiment. I read an article over at Pokermafia talking about how premium hands consisted only of 4 co-ordinated low cards, or 4 co-ordinated hi-cards, no-pairs. So I took that advice literally. Those hands don't come by very often ...)

(PPS I come from a low stakes, NL background. After my abysmal Omaha lark ... I jumped back into the $25NL tables at Party and pumped the Omaha br back up again.I feel a little dirty ... but what can you do? Also of note, I can't say for certain, but all this talk of waiting for nut hands seems to have improved my NL game ... go figure.)
Old 08-19-2005, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Here are some stats ...

These stats are reasonable for someone starting out. You have the basics (i.e. tight play) down pretty well, although you play a few too many hands and play them too passively preflop and postflop (not huge leaks at this level, though preflop raising is very profitable in the multiway pots). On top of that, you seem to showdown too much (small sample size, but with experience this will naturally decrease).

Thing is, you can't teach the aggression (i.e. raising and folding) until you get a feel for which sort of hands and draws are "good", and which are trash. In another 1000 hands you'll improve, almost by default. keep playing.

Rest assured, you aren't even close to a -8 BB/100 player.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:04 AM

It all looks good except

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Granted this is a very small sample size but you are going to showdown way too much. You want to push your W$SD above 60 which will naturally push down your WtSD.

Currently for .5/1 my WtSD is 29.8 and my W$SD is 61.08. Not saying that those are perfect number or that you can't win with a lower W$SD but for a beginner I think that increasing your W$SD will increase your overall BB/100

Also I agree with sy. Numbers don’t always show everything but I would be extremely surprised if you run -9BB/100 over the long run.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Re: -120 bbs in 12 hours ... WTF?

I read all the time about how Party has tightened up. I just started playing at Paradise this week, and it's been just exactly that. Lots of action, flop %'s regularly over 50% (sometimes over 60%), at $1/.5. My goal is to make back all the $$ I lost while I have been learning. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2005, 10:24 AM

I come from a PL background, but I think Goop is right on the money.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fix this and your game will improve-- you aggression number will probably go up to because you will be folding instead of calling on hands that you are currently losing.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Thanks Sy, Mend and Goop ...

Nice handles, guys.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The feedback really lifted my spirits, thanks a bundle. I didn't THINK I was a -9/BB player ...

Crunching some numbers, it seems that in a typical game of about 40 hands per hour, seeing only about 20% of the flops, and going to the showdown only 30% of the time ...

The tight player will only play about 8 hands an hour, and of that only see 2-3 showdowns.

So a beginner should really only see a showdown about once every 20-30 minutes of play. This really puts into perspective the sort of game I should be playing right now.

Thanks again, guys

Best,
Zim

(ps All online resource links are appreciated. One of my biggest stumbling blocks -aside from not folding on the flop- is figuring out the odds on all the various draws. But I suppose I should only be concerning myself with the nut draws, huh?)
Old 08-19-2005, 09:29 PM

Default Thanks, Bo!

I swung by Paradise ...

It's as good as you say.

All the best,
Zim
Old 08-19-2005, 10:53 PM

Default Re: Thanks Sy, Mend and Goop ...

Multi-table.