Default Re: An Open Challenge

[ QUOTE ]
To anyone who supports the Iraq War,

[/ QUOTE ]

Define "supports the Iraq War".

natedogg
Old 08-18-2005, 11:45 PM

Here's a question for you, DVault. Has the U.S. military turned down anyone who was willing and able to serve on the basis of not needing volunteers? I can't think of a time. So your premise that the military is suddenly starving for volunteers is misleading because the military is always starving for more volunteers.

Now could you hop on down from your high horse and be done with the name-calling?
Old 08-19-2005, 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a question for you, DVault. Has the U.S. military turned down anyone who was willing and able to serve on the basis of not needing volunteers? I can't think of a time. So your premise that the military is suddenly starving for volunteers is misleading because the military is always starving for more volunteers.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's true, and let's just assume it is, because I have no knowledge to the contrary - then the only implication is that you ought to be willing to go fight in any war that you also support; which is what I've been saying all along.

Also, if this is true, then read over the post q/q started about the army missing it's recruiting goals and see how many posters claimed they "weren't needed".

Sounds like we agree, they are needed.

[ QUOTE ]
Now could you hop on down from your high horse and be done with the name-calling?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It may be name-calling, but it's not name-calling without a purpose. War supporters should be reconsidering their support for the war, in light of the fact they're hypocrites.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:01 AM

Just an impartial observer here thinking out loud...

Is it not enough to pay taxes to avoid hypocrisy? By paying taxes you are paying their wages, expenses, supplies, etc. ie. helping to make it all happen. If that doesn't count as support then why not take it away and see if it makes a difference?
Old 08-19-2005, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this changes nothing.

The OP was in response to a few war supporters who claimed the armed forces did not need their support.

Your point that the armed forces 'always' need more support/manpower further helps the OP refute these claims.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not at all. If you can actually support this, please do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I supported my claim here.

I had something like 40 posts in that thread and don't have much more to add.

[/ QUOTE ]

You did no such thing. You did not prove that supporting the war and not enlisting is being hypocritical. That's like saying that if a woman supports abortion, but doesn't have one then she is being a hypocrit. And damnit that's as ignorant of a leap in logic as the one you are making. I don't expect you to understand.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No. It may be name-calling, but it's not name-calling without a purpose. War supporters should be reconsidering their support for the war, in light of the fact they're hypocrites.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are not hypocrites. Again, I do not expect you to be able to understand why.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: No caveat in your challenge about age is there?(n/m)

[ QUOTE ]
Changing your rules now are ya? Just because people found a loophole, your word is not good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey ConservoMax, go watch C-Span and get edujamacated. Hope you don't fail out of your econ major the first day.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just an impartial observer here thinking out loud...

Is it not enough to pay taxes to avoid hypocrisy? By paying taxes you are paying their wages, expenses, supplies, etc. ie. helping to make it all happen. If that doesn't count as support then why not take it away and see if it makes a difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pull that ribbon off your gigantic SUV in the exurbs.

Now, that's a really bad argument, because everyone is required to pay taxes by law. You are not legally required to serve in the United States military.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's like saying that if a woman supports abortion, but doesn't have one then she is being a hypocrit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if someone supports legalized abortions, yet claims to be morally opposed to abortions - then yes, of course, they're hypocrites too. Please review the posts in the thread that I linked, which dealt with Ted Kennedy, abortion, and being a hypocrite.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't expect you to understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

If by this you mean that you won't be trying to argue with me, I'll guess I'll just be left to wonder what deep, profound, and unfathomable arguments you would have made, had I only the capacity to understand.

O cruel Lord, why must you consistently send my intellectual superiors to torture me so? With their intentional misspellings of 'hypocrit' and purposefully poorly-written arguments, how I only wish You would give me the power to comprehend them...