Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Re: FF: I\'m on the clock and need help with my 1st pick (7th overall)

The guy before me took Priest, and I ended up taking J. Lewis. I forgot to turn off the autodrafter, and I had Lewis ahead of Deuce on my predraft 1st round list. I had Lewis ranked ahead of Deuce, because of the Ravens upgrades on their OL and WR, and from what I've read he seems to be 100% healthy. Now I'm definitely starting to rethink my rankings for these two as far as my other drafts are concerned. The more I think about it, the more I regret not taking Deuce.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
from what I've read he seems to be 100% healthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

What on earth are you reading? He had surgery at the end of last season, then wasn't able to do a proper rehab because he was in jail.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
from what I've read he seems to be 100% healthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

What on earth are you reading? He had surgery at the end of last season, then wasn't able to do a proper rehab because he was in jail.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than that, he's fine though.

Seriously, this is a great example of why I really hate having picks 4-9 this year. No clear cut decisions.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I forgot to turn off the autodrafter

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahahahahahaha! You came here asking for all this advice then auto-selected? Priceless. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The guy before me took Priest, and I ended up taking J. Lewis. I forgot to turn off the autodrafter, and I had Lewis ahead of Deuce on my predraft 1st round list. I had Lewis ranked ahead of Deuce, because of the Ravens upgrades on their OL and WR, and from what I've read he seems to be 100% healthy. Now I'm definitely starting to rethink my rankings for these two as far as my other drafts are concerned. The more I think about it, the more I regret not taking Deuce.

Thanks for the input guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 08-04-2005, 02:52 PM

Well how far down do you guys have J. Lewis ranked? Do you have Dominick Davis, Kevin Jones, Clinton Portis, Rudi Johnson, and Julius Jones all ranked ahead of J. Lewis?
Old 08-04-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well how far down do you guys have J. Lewis ranked? Do you have Dominick Davis, Kevin Jones, Clinton Portis, Rudi Johnson, and Julius Jones all ranked ahead of J. Lewis?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes among others.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Moss - no.

RB ... how long will a good RB last?

There are really only three great QBs in this draft. Do you think it will be worthwhile snagging one of those before they're gone?

[/ QUOTE ]

who is the 3rd great QB, i only count 2 daunte being the other one
Old 08-04-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes among others.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a Portis fan. I'm also not much of a Jamal Lewis fan. I'd put Lewis higher, especially if you think you can grab Chester Taylor (who makes for a perfectly acceptable fantasy starter if he's the Ravens actual starter) in a late round.

Rudi, both Joneses, and DD should be higher than Jamal, though, not that it matters much at that point. Don't fret these picks -- you'll be fine so long as you don't have a total brain fart and grab a guy whose job is at risk to basically any degree (read: 49er, Panther, Viking, etc.) or a guy who is likely to drop off such as CMart or Dillon. And even then, the latter guys aren't a big mistake. Top-flight RBs are notoriously flukey and are all potential injury risks. So, no matter what, there's a large degree of crapshootitivity(TM).

Focus on the lower rounds. That's where teams are made and dreams die.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Moss - no.

RB ... how long will a good RB last?

There are really only three great QBs in this draft. Do you think it will be worthwhile snagging one of those before they're gone?

[/ QUOTE ]

who is the 3rd great QB, i only count 2 daunte being the other one

[/ QUOTE ]

I count one. His last name is Manning and he doesn't play for the Giants. Damnit.

After that, there are three to seven in the second tier, depending on your scoring system. For those who care, here are Culpepper's numbers from last year's 11 games without Moss, prorated over a full season, and compared to McNabb and Brady:

DC: 3840 yards, 32 TD
DM: 3875, 31
TB: 3692, 28

Noting that Culpepper also has a better defense, the need to pass may be lessened, making him even harder to distinguish from the pack.

To demonstrate how much of a crapshoot it is, the Tampa Bay QBs (Johnson, Simms, Griese) put up something close to 3600 yards and 26 touchdowns. If you expect a slight falloff from the prorated stats above for Culpepper, you are basically getting Brian Griese plus a bit.