Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 04:23 PM

Default JJ against big stack

UB $30 MTT

About 65 players left, top 20 get paid, I am in about 20th with 4250. I get dealt JJ UTG+1, UTG folds, I raise to 400 (blinds 50/100). Big stack (10000+) in MP2 reraises to 1300. I had seen him do this a number of times trying to buy pots, but had folded to aggression, but all of those times were postflop.

So there is 1850 in the pot and it cost me another 900. If I call I will have 2950 left. I can just as easily fold and move on. Does anyone push? What do you do here and why?
Old 08-03-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Re: JJ against big stack

fold.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:28 PM

Call.. If it comes big (A, K, or Q) check-fold. if it comes low, Check-raise all in. Big chance to win a big pot here and double-up if it comes rags. If the flop comes big, you can get away and you still have 30 BB behind to work with.

Edit: Changed opinion slightly..
Old 08-03-2005, 08:19 PM

Default bump

Anyone else care to chime in?
Old 08-03-2005, 09:00 PM

I'd push.

From the description of your opponents style and stack I would not believe his possible range of hands to be any narrower than any pair 99 or better, and AJ and better Aces.

Pokerstove gives you 52.2% equity against this range; you'll be committing t2,850 to contest a total pot of t8,650, if he calls - an equity of t4,515 or a net gain of t1,665. And I'd believe there's at least 10% chance he'll fold to your all in, tremendously increasing the EV of a push.

If we put him on a much narrower range - pairs JJ or better, AQ or better Aces - your equity drops slightly to 42.7%, or t3,693; even with this (unrealistic) narrow range your net gain from the push is t843 or a EV of more than +30%

This is a clear push.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 08-03-2005, 09:37 PM

I agree if he will reraise with AJ or 99 or better it's a push. There is a good chance he is making a loose reraise and will fold to a push.

It mainly depends on your read of villain. If he would only reraise with AK, QQ or better, then you should fold. A lot of people would flat call with hands like AJ or 99.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had seen him do this a number of times trying to buy pots, but had folded to aggression, but all of those times were postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Based solely on this statement, folding would be very weak. Based on your read I think I'd push this. You've got a long way to go. You need to accumulate chips to go deep. This is an excellent opportunity to:

1) win the pot right then;
2) double up against a weaker hand;
3) make a strong statement that when you enter a pot you mean business (this obviously will allow you to more effectively steal and not have the villain come over the top of your raises).

Yes, this time he could have a real hand. But I think the range of hands (again, based on your read) he is re-raising with is much, much greater than the hands you are worried about.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:09 AM

I would push;

1) If you put him on 2 big cards your gonna race or he could have 3 outs if he has AJ.
2) If he has AK and you have QQ your gonna push, so it the same thing with jacks.
3) if he has overcard let him call and gamble, id be happy with him having AK
4) you cant wait for AA and KK all night you gotta play sooner or later