Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 03:57 PM

Default AJs multiway pot

Game is not too tough. A couple of real good players and then some bad ones.

Blinds 25cents, 50 cents

Hero has A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in MP.
One limper in front, hero limps. Button limps, SB calls, BB checks.

2.50 in pot

Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB bets 50 Cents (weak player, very passive, will make stupid plays sometimes, will fold to most reraises), first limper raises to 2.00 (know this player well, has top pair maybe two pair)

Hero calls 2.00, button goes all in for about 12 dollars. SB folds, BB folds, reraiser folds. Hero...calls.

19 dollars in pot, hero has to call another 10.

I put this guy on two pair, or J9 (top pair, OESD), or OESD and flush draw.

He turns over 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] giving him no pair just OESD. He hits the straight and nothing pans out for me.

My questions are:

1. Raise preflop? Yes or no and why.
2. Raise the flop Yes or no and why.

After thinking about it, I thought the correct play would have been to raise on the flop, thus isolating the player I thought had top pair. Even if he has two pair, I'm sitting on 11 outs (maybe 14 if he doesnt have top two).

If i raise on the flop, the button does not push all in, MAYBE calls. Says he was trying to make a play...

Comments please...
Old 07-21-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Re: AJs multiway pot

Is this 6 max or full ring? You've gotta raise that flop and try to take it down on the flop. I think this post was really nothing more than a thinly veiled bad beat post. If the dude was willing to push with 9 6 then you weren't going to make him fold by betting on the flop. Reload, buddy list this moran and get your money back in the end.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this 6 max or full ring? You've gotta raise that flop and try to take it down on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no you don't.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:27 PM

If you fold preflop, beats like this won't happen.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you fold preflop, beats like this won't happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming you're being sarcastic.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:12 PM

You don't want the draws folding, you want anyone with better than top pair folding. You are going to be a huge favorite against every draw (oesd included). The ideal situation would be for everyone who was in the hand to call.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:18 PM

Looks perfect on every street.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this 6 max or full ring? You've gotta raise that flop and try to take it down on the flop. I think this post was really nothing more than a thinly veiled bad beat post. If the dude was willing to push with 9 6 then you weren't going to make him fold by betting on the flop. Reload, buddy list this moran and get your money back in the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Waaaa? You flop TPTK with a draw to nut flush and you would try to take it down on the flop? Doesn't make much sense dude.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:00 AM

This was full ring game.

It was not a bad beat post, I was really curious as to if I could have played it better to avoid the bad beat.

The more i look at it, the more I think this hand could have been played multiple ways.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After thinking about it, I thought the correct play would have been to raise on the flop, thus isolating the player I thought had top pair. Even if he has two pair, I'm sitting on 11 outs (maybe 14 if he doesnt have top two).

If i raise on the flop, the button does not push all in, MAYBE calls. Says he was trying to make a play...

[/ QUOTE ]
That is result-oriented thinking. If button didn't hit his straight, you wouldn't be thinking like that.