Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 12:03 PM

Default River advice needed, party $30/$60.

Party 30/60

I'm often not sure what to do against a river raise, especially if I have a decent hand closing the action like in these examples. Comments on all streets are appreciated, but I'd like to know what your river action is in each hand. Thanks.

HAND#1

Aggressive button open raises, I 3-bet from SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], he calls, we're heads up.

Flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet, he calls.

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet, he calls.

River: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet, he raises, I ??

=====================================

HAND#2

Unknown EP limps, I raise A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] from MP, BB calls, EP calls

Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

check to me, I bet, they both call.

Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

checked to me, I bet, they both call.

River K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

check to me, I bet, BB folds, EP raises, I ??

=====================================

HAND#3

shorthanded game, folded to me and I complete the SB with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], aggressive BB raises as usual.

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, he bets, I raise, he 3-bets, I call.

Turn: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet, he calls.

River: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet, he raises, I ??
Old 07-12-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Re: River advice needed, party $30/$60.

These are tough, and I'm stuggling to get my river calling frequency correct, so I may not the best one to give advice, but here it goes...

Hand 1) I'm pretty sure you are beat. You are beaten by most other As, either by kicker or the other A has 2 pair. If early in the session, I call this one just to make sure and will fold it in the future.

Hand 2) Against a total unknown, I call and get a read. It is possible that he has KQd or something.

Hand 3) This is a fold I think.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:21 PM

Hand 1 you have to call
Hand 2 easy call
Hand 3 why would you ever bet that river
id fold.....
Old 07-12-2005, 01:27 PM

#1 - call, at least 1 out of 8 chances he is bluffing...or has A6/A8.

#2 - three bet, he is going to pay you off with that king, you never defined your hand enough for him to be fairly certain you have that A, thus the raise when the king hit. id say its over a 50% chance he is either bluffing a scare card hoping you will fold something like TT, or he has the king and will pay off the three bet.

#3 - fold
Old 07-12-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
#1 - call, at least 1 out of 8 chances he is bluffing...or has A6/A8.

#2 - three bet, he is going to pay you off with that king, you never defined your hand enough for him to be fairly certain you have that A, thus the raise when the king hit. id say its over a 50% chance he is either bluffing a scare card hoping you will fold something like TT, or he has the king and will pay off the three bet.

#3 - fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting 3 betting hand two. Discuss why you feel your good.....Thanks
Old 07-12-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the 3-bet.

I think you have to be good 75% of the time to raise the river here in case he caps. I don't think villian is good that often here. While I think he has odds to call an unknown that may have just paired his K, I think it is >25% likely that villian just improved to 2 pair.

Maybe I've been missing bets here though...

What % of time is an unknown, a pssive, and a tag CR'ing this river with less than 2 pair?
Old 07-12-2005, 02:06 PM

Hand 1, if you specifically know the player doesn't run big river bluffs then anything he's raising for value beats you. However, I wouldn't be too surprised to see K-high if you call against many aggressive players, so call.
Hand 2, your hand is basically face up and he's checkraising, I think he has to have 2pair or better. Fold.
Hand 3, when he calls your turn donkbet it looks like he's going to showdown. When he then raises the river I don't see what you're ahead of. Fold.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:08 PM

hand 1s and: i dont like betting the river here. Exactly what do you beat if he calls on hand 1? A-6, A-8. I would check on both hands.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly what do you beat if he calls on hand 1?

[/ QUOTE ]
66, 88-KK, J7, K5, 56, 79, etc, etc, etc. Its a heads up blinds contest and the flop and turn have gone bet-call. Top pair is a mandatory valuebet.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:19 PM

I call the first 2 and probably fold the 3rd but I think I call too much... 2nd hand villian might have hit 2 pair like K8 or is trying to push you off a better hand.