Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 12:13 AM

Default Re: My TruePoker WSOP 120K Hands Challenge - Final Update

[ QUOTE ]

I still don't know how you did it. I go on cruise control (like mistaking 4K for AK and raising when I should fold) after about 4 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks,

And yes, I think this was one of my biggest problems -- staying focused. Very difficult to concentrate after your on your 5000 + hand. (Those weekends were killers!)
Old 06-20-2005, 12:15 AM

Do you have any idea how much rake you paid over this challenge?
Old 06-20-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry Sponger, but I just don't think that you get it.

O'Doyles (or anyone else's) win rate over this kind of challenge bears little resemblance to what they normally win.

To have a decent win rate, what will any good pro or book tell you?

-Don't play when you are tired.
-Don't play when you are upset or on tilt.
-Don't play at a faster pace than you are comfortable with
-Use table selection to pick your spots.
-Be careful when mixing limits or genres (limit and NL) so that you don't misclick
-Don't play when you are ill.
-Don't play when you are burned out.

I can assure you that anyone on this kind of quest violates most if not all of these precepts, often on a daily basis. Playing to get this kind of volume of hands in almost guarentees that you will play in conditions that will ruin your win rate.

And you don't seem to acknowledge the two really important good things that came out of this:

O'Doyle got a huge "rakeback" from his play far greater than his prospective win rate would have been.

It has been proven that we can get online sites to make deals for a high volume of play. We don't have to rely on "back alley affilliate deals" on sites like Party to get some value out of the site for our play. I think that is a major accomplishment, and one that will continue to bear fruit after the WSOP is over.

Shauna

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Shauna,

Couldn't have said this better myself.. Thanks for taking up for me!
Old 06-20-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

"An interesting side note, Empire Poker called me yesterday to ask why I haven't been playing there lately and what they could do to make their poker playing experience better."

That is interesting. Do they do that on a regular basis ? If so, do they ever actually change anything ?

Truepoker CEO

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey David,

For me this was a first. But, then again, this is the first time I have just quit playing at their site for any extended period of time. I have played a fairly high volume with them over the past 18 months, so I guess it did get their attention that my play dropped to zero.

Evidently, they were not keeping up on my posts, but then again, maybe they were.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:50 AM

Congrats Doyle, it's one hell of an accomplishment. In the early days of my career I played in the Lucy Jones Bonanza at party (this was the first one they did back when you had to play all night long and they only gave money to the top 20). After two days of pulling all nighters I pretty much didn't want to turn the computer on again (and quit after three days)...I can't imagine what it would have been like after 39.

Good luck at the WSOP...you've certainly earned it.

J
Old 06-20-2005, 07:32 AM

Sponger, since you are smart enough to understand what O' Doyle meant, and the benefits he got from doing this challenge, your constant bashing on his posts just makes you look bitter. Sorry you can't go yourself.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have any idea how much rake you paid over this challenge?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly. If we used an average of 12 cents a hand, that would relate to $ 14,400 in rake paid. However, I think that would be a high estimate for two reasons:

1. I believe TruePoker's rake structure is better than most sites.

2. 75% to 80% of my play was at $1/$2 and $25 NL. The rest was spread from $2/$4 to $5/$10 with a little $ 50 NL thrown in.

I think my estimate is high. Nonetheless, just looking at it from a rake perspective still makes the challenge look like a much better deal.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:20 AM

I have also pulled an allnighter or two for Lucy.

Now, I would feel like an ass for whoring Lucy for $20, compared to a WSOP entry fee.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:36 AM

odoyle,

1) congrats!

2) when i 1st saw that avartar, i thought it was a chicken/rooster [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

3) so truepoker doesnt offer rakeback like party, huh? you could have been swimming with 30% rakeback.

4) 1st hand at WSOP-> All-in BLIND [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

you'll get you face on TV for 15 sec of fame. and 15 zillion hrs of fame if you did that and go on to win the bracelet [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

5) Congrats again!
Old 06-20-2005, 12:04 PM

You take the term grinder to another level and I mean that in a good way. Well done. I hope you cash huge in the big one and then you will have monetary compensation for your hard work. That would be awesome to hear some random story about you getting lucky and busting Chan or Negreanu or whatever. Good luck.