Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 06-06-2005, 10:05 PM

Default I\'m not playing again tonight....

I play small stakes for a living, but it is not a grind, I enjoy it and at the stakes I play, with multitabling and rakeback, 20 hours is enough money to support me for now (I do have plans of moving up).

I just don't play. Most every night for the last week, I've sat down at the computer, and have done nothing, until I break my vow and go out. Right now is a perfect example...I've been talking on the phone and watching a stupid reality show, with Eurobet open, and yet I'm not playing. It's not because I'm running bad either, actually, I'm running ridiculously well. My previous job was fun but typically unfullfilling, service industry stuff, so I'm not wanting to go back to that. And money is no problem, I have plenty of savings.

Really, I'm just an extremely lazy person, and putting in hours when I'm self employed is a problem. Anybody go through this? Do I just need to exhaust my savings to start caring? Or am I just a bum and need to take care of business (the probable answer)...Anybody who is not a natural self motivator, please chirp in. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:49 PM

Default Re: I\'m not playing again tonight....

I thought you said you enjoy playing? If that's the case, then why is it difficult for you?
Old 06-07-2005, 03:05 AM

Hey Boddhi, Thanks. Really, it was as simple as that. I don't know what the heck my problem was...but as soon as I typed that message, I finally logged on and pumped out 800 hands and asked myself, "Yeah, what the hell was my problem?"

Think I just needed to express my idiocy in public, reading what I wrote really made me wonder what that was all about. Oh well, glad it's over. I think really I've just been enjoying my freedom a little too much.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:28 AM

I have the same problem. I just can't sit down and play, probably because its more stressful than sitting around and watching tv. I'm considering scheduling a 9-5 type of session and simply dedicating myself to following it for a week and so how that goes.

How fun.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:12 PM

I've found that many times I don't want to play, but it's not because of any discernable reason, like being too tired or distracted. All I usually need to do is fire up a table and my competitive juices get flowing and I play a nice 2-3 hour session. Probably 25% of my play comes at times like this where I just need a little push to get in the hours.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:00 PM

Posts like your own can be cathartic and just the process of writing your problem in words for the public can be enough for you to realize your problem. Glad you're back at the tables.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:20 AM

I feel the same way. Whether I'm running well, running poorly (as I am now), it doesn't matter. I'm no pro, hell, I'm barely a winning player it seems at the moment. I have a summer job, so it's not as though I need to play or I won't eat. It's almost as though I like the concept of poker more than the actual game itself. I like reading posts here, I like replying to posts here, but I just can't motivate myself to play lately. So, I surf here, load up a video game, or do nothing at all rather than play. It wouldn't bother me so much if I was doing something productive with my time, but it's clear that I won't do that either.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play small stakes for a living, but it is not a grind, I enjoy it and at the stakes I play, with multitabling and rakeback, 20 hours is enough money to support me for now (I do have plans of moving up).

I just don't play. Most every night for the last week, I've sat down at the computer, and have done nothing, until I break my vow and go out. Right now is a perfect example...I've been talking on the phone and watching a stupid reality show, with Eurobet open, and yet I'm not playing. It's not because I'm running bad either, actually, I'm running ridiculously well. My previous job was fun but typically unfullfilling, service industry stuff, so I'm not wanting to go back to that. And money is no problem, I have plenty of savings.

Really, I'm just an extremely lazy person, and putting in hours when I'm self employed is a problem. Anybody go through this? Do I just need to exhaust my savings to start caring? Or am I just a bum and need to take care of business (the probable answer)...Anybody who is not a natural self motivator, please chirp in. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

As Yoda would say "Much fear in this one, there is."
Old 06-08-2005, 04:48 PM

This is fairly common for me too.

I have developed a routine to help me get to that point of firing up the table.

It takes about 15 minutes, and when I'm done, I usually want to crush the table.

I guess it's kind of like working in an office instead of your house. You know you're there to work.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:15 PM

Glad to see your problem is solved.

Whenever, I have this, I go to the mirror and chant 10 times, "Let's go win some MONEY!" I get fiercer every time, and by the 10th time you can practically see the flames shooting out of my mouth. Then I punch the mirror with both hands as hard as I can. When I get back from the hospital, the bill is more than enough motivation to play.