Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Blind Defense Stop and Goes

What part of 'i punch myself in the cock' is clever? Worst...analogy...ever...

Anyways, I like 3-betting on the flop.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:17 PM

That's really part of my question too. I may have the best hand slightly more often than I don't, but if I 3-bet the flop and bet the turn and river, I could get called down by a better hand or the turn may hurt me. In addition, if I 3-bet and bet the turn, he could "correctly" call the turn with overcards.

If I bet the turn and get raised again, it's an easy fold, but if I was ahead on the flop, my edge on the turn is bigger and I lose less when behind.

Does any of this make sense or is this just another reason why my post-flop aggression is low? As I said, this is an experiment that I'm trying out.

Astro - FWIW my opponent folded.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:18 PM

i like 3-betting the flop because then if i lead the turn and get raised i'm willing to fold the hand (opponent dependent). calling on the flop doesn't give you enough info when the turn raise comes (since, as you hint at, a flop call and a turn raise is a stronger line by the villain than a flop raise and a turn raise).

leading out is a good play here and your hand is good most of the time, as you know. but you have to take into consideration the times when you are behind and minimize the damage, as well as giving yourself some slim chance of getting away from the hand on the turn.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:20 PM

I dont think it's an easy fold if you get popped on the turn. You start doing that [censored] versus me and I'll start popping you on almost every turn. And i'm not kidding. I'm sure many others would start noticing too. At least until you re-adjusted.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's just the intentional finality of it that implies that the move is clever. "i bet" is like "i flat call, then i punch myself in the cock" with a wink

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst annalogy ever. And I don't think barry was trying to be clever.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:30 PM

1) I thought astro's analogy was f'in hilarious.

2) I didn't really get it from Barry's post - I think he was just describing his action and soliciting comment on that as opposed to a flop 3-bet or turn checkraise attempt. However, astro's general point is very correct. Often posts go something like "i check, he bets, i checkraise" where they really mean to say "i check, he bets, i checkraise <suck on that, bitches>." My response to those is usually, ooooooh goody for you.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:30 PM

unless CO is super tight you figure to have the best hand a large percentage of the time, I don't think you can fold the turn HU out of position because he can raise lots of hands and take a free showdown. I am not the best limit player but it seems to me like you need to play your hand as if you're ahead and see a showdown. is this thinking incorrect in the party 15?

--turnipmonster
Old 04-12-2005, 04:32 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think barry was trying to be clever

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I have been experimenting with a new line

[/ QUOTE ]

it's a general comment, not something against barry. i think he's a swell guy. ending a post with "i [action]" (fold, checkraise, anything) is most often a stick that in your pipe and smoke it kind of statement, especially so with "i bet". it implies the sassy, irreverent twist that they have put on poker, and it's supposed to be the part you talk about. i think it takes on a totally different feel if you say "i bet, he raises. i've been experimenting with calling instead of threebetting here and then betting any turn. is that line better?" watch for the "action end" in future posts, trust me.

don't read too much into it. but the analogy was awesome.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:36 PM

While I agree the actual comment in the analogy was hilarious, it just didn't do it for me when you were trying to relate it to the situation at hand. You coulda picked a better spot for that one is all.

I get it now...what you're saying about the sassyness of "I bet, BITCHES!!!"
Old 04-12-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You start doing that [censored] versus me and I'll start popping you on almost every turn

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point here and I guess that I'm referring to the normal Party crowd and not vs. thinking players. Plus my game selection is getting better and I'm avoiding you guys.

Astro, I wasn't trying to be cute or or show off what I think was a great move. I'm truly curious as to this line, which so far is getting bad reviews.

Heck I've only made 1 post in recent history, where I thought I played it well and the few that bothered to reply hated it.