Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 02-27-2005, 12:30 AM

Default Sudden bets

Well, my downswings at both shorthanded and full ring games have made it impossible to think that it's just random luck. Somehow, I've gone from a decent player to a bad one. In order to address this issue, I've decided to play 15-20k hands at 1/2 6 max even more aggressively (with less concern for BR) and make more river calls. I also still struggle with blind steal/defense and dealing with the power play (turn c/r). Let me know what you think of these from 5/10...

-------------------------------------------

Hand #1: Total unknown in the BB.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...

------------------------------------

Hand #2: Opponent is LAG (55/15) preflop and is overall fairly passive postflop but loves to wait until the river to get aggressive.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (3.20 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.20 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets...</font>

Final Pot: 7.20 BB

------------------------------------------------------

Hand #3: Villian is LP (55/7) preflop and fairly average postflop. I almost raised the turn bet, but I decided to just call figuring about 11 outs.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 5.50 BB

-------------------------------------------------

Hand #4: Villian seems to be LP preflop but very aggressive postflop.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (2 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>...
Old 02-27-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Sudden bets (one more)

BB is 32/3 with low flop aggression, high river aggression.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, CO calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, CO folds.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls?

River: (6.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks?

Final Pot: 6.25 BB
Old 02-27-2005, 01:09 AM

Default Re: Sudden bets

[ QUOTE ]
In order to address this issue, I've decided to play 15-20k hands at 1/2 6 max even more aggressively (with less concern for BR) and make more river calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if lack of aggression is the problem based on these hands. They mostly look like cases where you had a good hand pre-flop, and then the flop missed you and hit your opponent. Sometimes you just have to give up and wait for the next hand.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:05 AM

hand 1 just seems silly. a hand that beats you is much more likely than a flush draw. most people wont even play a flush draw this way
Old 02-27-2005, 04:21 AM

Hand #1 is an easy fold.

Hand #2 is a nasty flop and when he calls you're in trouble. If you really want to put in another bet check the turn and call the river, but you're better off checking and folding the river if you don't spike an A. They call down with any pair most of the time, so you're not folding a better hand, and draws just aren't that common.

Hand #3 is solid all the way.

Hand #4 is debatable. I prefer to just call here and call the whole way, allowing my opponent to continue bluffing if he has nothing. The pot is small enough that even if he draws out on me it's no big deal. I would just call and bet anytime he checks. This is debatable.

When your opponent calls your flop bet with a bunch of cards on board that look like they should hit the preflop raiser, you're usually in trouble. The best way to minimize losses and still win some of the hands is to check behind on the turn and call the river.

-Michael
Old 02-27-2005, 01:24 PM

Hand 1: I run into this all the time, and while this is an extreme example, I'm going to defend my turn c/r. What does the turn bet mean? From what I've seen, this play indicates a made hand, possibly improved by the turn, that is not strong. They throw out a feeler bet to see how much their opponent, who has been aggressive to this point, likes their hand.

The 4 doesn't beat me, and on this board a weak holding is probably unable to call. I raise intending to fold to any further aggression. BB folds to the turn c/r. Comments?

Hand 2: I folded but wish I would've just checked the turn.

Hand 3: SB rivers me out with A5o. Hero grumbles.

Hand 4: Hero calls down and SB has a king. The difference here is that the 3 "improves" (or potentially) improves a hand, but I was good against any 2x not coupled with an Ace, so I feel the call down is appropriate.