Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 10:55 AM

Default KJs. Miss the draw, but river brings a crying call?

Not enough hands to read the opponent by the numbers, but he struck me as a bit of LAG. Others at the table were fairly tight, I felt I could 3-bet to isolate. I know there are probably some major issues with this move from UTG+1. I honestly don't remember my exact justification. I know it wasn't tilt, because I wasn't running bad.

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero ???

Final Pot: 10.25 BB
Old 02-16-2005, 11:03 AM

Default Re: KJs. Miss the draw, but river brings a crying call?

I don't know what's stranger, the way he played post flop or you 3-betting KJs. I think you can fold the river.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:09 AM

Eureka. I know what happened. This was probably the Paradise "glitch" I've fallen victim to a few too many times while clearing the super bowl bonus.

Being UTG+1, I probably clicked right away on "Raise $1" or whatever the button is. However, unlike on Party where a raise before you will halt your action and prompt you for a new one, Paradise just raises whatever it is when it gets to you, hence the 3-bet.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:19 AM

It is very strange. Let me elaborate.

Your oppenent played the hand very strange. His betting out with the two makes no sense what so ever. The two couldn't possibly have helped him unless he was playing a pretty crappy hand preflop. If he was and it did, then he should check raise. Who knows, maybe He had A2 in the pocket. This all suggests he is a poor player. Probably loose agressive.

Loose agressive was your reason for trying to isolate. However, the problem is that you don't have a hand that you want to isolate him with. Assuming he doesn't raise a hundred percent of his hands, the hand you have probably isn't better that the avg hand that he would raise with. Lets say he raised with any pocket pair, any two face cards, and any ace. The only hands your ahead of him preflop are certain combinations of two high cards. Like if he was raising QJ or KT.

For what its worth, I probably would have called the river just cause of the pot odds.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:25 AM

I have no idea why villain bet out on the turn. If I had to guess, he was overplaying A2s preflop. I'd call the river just to see what he had [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2005, 11:27 AM

What if he had the kjs in a later position and 2 people limped after the early raiser; then wouldn't it be correct to three bet rather than cold call? I agree that the three bet right after the raiser may not be the best play, but with other players in the pot, wouldn't that be +EV?
Old 02-16-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that the three bet right after the raiser may not be the best play,

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree too. That's why I was so confused when I re-read the HH. But as I mentioned, I believe it was an accidental 3-bet. Therefore, discussing the merits of it are not as relevant in this hand. I guess the focuse then becomes post-flop.