Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2005, 08:10 PM

Default My accountant says that I cant...

So i told my paretns over winter break that i made some money playing poker. Long story short they were cool with it as long i pay taxes on it and invest some. Ive had a roth IRA for a few years now, and have been funding it with my various summer jobs.

As i understood, I could my poker winnings to fund my ROTH IRA(in which you can only place earned income)

Well my mom just called me and relayed a message from their/my accountant. He said that i can't claim poker winnings as earned income. I was pretty sure that i'm right on this one, but he says that he would need some sort of documentation saying this is okay to do.

Can somebody help me out? ive been looking through the searches and on google with no luck.

-light
Old 02-09-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: My accountant says that I cant...

My broker and personal banker have both told me I cannot use my money to fuel a roth IRA either. Pain in the ass.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:22 PM

Second vote for "he's right, you're wrong."

You can only put as much money in an IRA each year as you have earned income.

Poker winnings do not count as earned income, so if you have no source of earned income, you cannot contribute to a Roth IRA.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:26 PM

Also, you may not be eligible to put any money in a Roth. I may be remembering this incorrectly, but I believe Roth eligibility is based on your Adjusted Gross Income, and if your gross session winnings (not including the session loss deduction) is above a certain amount (130K?) you are not eligibile to contribute to a Roth.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:39 PM

More info from the IRS website

[ QUOTE ]
Contribution Limits
In general, if your only IRA is a Roth IRA, the maximum 2004 contribution limit is the lesser of your taxable compensation or $3,000 ($3,500 for those age 50 or over). For 2005, this amount increases to $4,000 ($4,500 if 50 or older in 2005).

The maximum contribution limit phases out if your modified adjusted gross income is within these limits:
<ul type="square">[*] $150,000-$160,000 — Married Filing Jointly[*] $0-$10,000 — Married Filing Separately (and you lived with your spouse at any time during the year)[*] $95,000-$110,000 — Single, Head of Household, or Married Filing Separately (and you did not live with your spouse)[/list]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-09-2005, 09:13 PM

my accountant said the same thing. does anyone know why it's not earned income, even though we pay taxes on it? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As i understood, I could my poker winnings to fund my ROTH IRA(in which you can only place earned income)

[/ QUOTE ]

You understood wrong...unless you are filing as a professional gambler, your poker winnings are not earned income.

Acme
Old 02-09-2005, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my accountant said the same thing. does anyone know why it's not earned income, even though we pay taxes on it? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of sources of income are not considered earned income. Interest you receive on your savings account is not earned income. Bond interest is not earned income. Stock dividends are not earned income. Unless you are cheating on your taxes, you are paying taxes on those sources as well.

For the most part, earned income is compensation for a job performed. For most people, poker is not their job, so their winnings do not qualify.

(Note: I am not a tax professional. I have just read tons on the subject.)

Acme
Old 02-09-2005, 09:27 PM

oh, that makes sense. i feel stupid now lol thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2005, 09:44 PM

Yea, b/c it isnt taxed as earned income. It is taxed as income.

If you are a professional Gambler and can meet the test from the court cases, then it can be earned income. It would go on a sch C and have FICA taxes on it. Be ready to defend it with the IRS though.

SFWUSC