Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2004, 07:46 PM

Default JKo, my first hand for review

It is time for me to start posting some hands to see what you guys have to say:

Absolute Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP calls, CO calls.

I don't like the raise here but I think I have to see the flop anyway if it just costs me one more bet.

Flop: (10 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP calls, CO calls.

With at least 4 outs I think I am OK to call here. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls $0.82 (All-In), Hero folds, MP folds, CO calls.

At this point I decide that the odds aren't enough and fold. I am having a hard time deciding how many outs the 2 remaining kings and the three remaining jacks should be worth. What do you think? Should I have called here?

:.:: brasse
Old 12-30-2004, 08:00 PM

Default Re: JKo, my first hand for review

Raise or fold preflop. Last thing I want to do is encourage a limpfest w/ KJo out of position.

I could very well raise this most of the time if the competition is weak tightish.

As it sits, I raise the flop.

Gotta thin out this field a little. don't let people into the pot behind you unless they want to call two cold.

You can then control the pot on the turn is the SB checks to you, check it back at him. If he three bets the flop and it winds up HU, call the three bet, you still have outs to the winner. I'm just not a big fan of open limping UTG in any circumstance you wind up in spots like this. Hit that raise button once in a while. (it'll make you feel good)
Old 12-30-2004, 10:30 PM

I see your point. I have actually been trying to get my game more aggresive preflop. Normaly I play full ring and there my PFR is about 6.5%. And it does feel good to raise UTG and seeing people fold and increase my winning chances! =)

I will follow your advice and either fold or raise with this hand UTG in the future.

Thanks!

:.:: brasse
Old 12-30-2004, 10:56 PM

raise pf.

i disagree with bunky in raising the flop. you are in bad shape against a SB raise and i don't want to push this too hard. just call and look at the turn and take it from there.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:22 PM

Hey joker, just a difference in strategy perhaps, the raise is for a stone cold free river card. I get check raised so much that this play usually works like a charm, raise the flop, make them cold call 2 behind you, let the Sb smooth call. then check the turn behind them, intending to call a river bet. unless you improve then you can raise!