Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-12-2004, 03:10 AM

Default Re: NYC, club comparison

[ QUOTE ]
-Both users apparently don't know where to find any card rooms in NYC

[/ QUOTE ]

I can think of a number of reasons to play in AC instead of NYC that have nothing to do with inability to find a cardroom.

scrub
Old 11-12-2004, 12:23 PM

Such as?
Old 11-12-2004, 01:04 PM

yeah? such as?
Old 11-12-2004, 01:15 PM

More/better games. Although the convenience of playing in NYC is worth it to me.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
More/better games. Although the convenience of playing in NYC is worth it to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

More games.

Better games.

Bigger games.

Legal games (this is a consideration for some).

Safer games. (I'm not wild about carrying the amount of money I bring to play the usual games I play live around NYC in the middle fo the night.)

scrub
Old 11-12-2004, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bigger games

[/ QUOTE ]
True, though not yet a problem for me. And I think I could even find one big enouh for a hot shot like you buddy--if you ever wanna swing by the old neighborhood.

[ QUOTE ]
Legal games (this is a consideration for some).

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess, although this has never become an issue as far as I know.

[ QUOTE ]
Safer games. (I'm not wild about carrying the amount of money I bring to play the usual games I play live around NYC in the middle fo the night.)

[/ QUOTE ]
Translation: "I'm scrub, I'm a big shot." [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Seriously though this is true to some extent. I have thought about whether people that know where these places are could wait outside for people walking out or something. Who knows though. Its definitely a concern but not anything that's gonna make me stop playing in NYC. Just part of living here and playing poker I guess.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:43 PM

All good/valid points.

I do believe it comes down to individual preference. I've personally eschewed AC lately in favor of NYC for live play.

Just interesting to hear other opinions on the matter.

Thanks.

NJC
Old 11-12-2004, 02:02 PM

More games. true

Better games. no way!

Bigger games. very true, although AC only has 5/10 PL for big bet.

Safer games. this is true, although it doesn't bother me anymore. I guess you get used to it. I would like to just color up and carry chips, but I wouldn't for a variety of reasons, including nothing bigger than blacks where I play.

#1 reason to play in AC is they have real cashier boxes and will pay you in hundreds if you ask. this is my #1 pet peeve of every cardroom in nyc. they always give me some twenties when I cash out. and yes, I juice the cashier and they still do it, although I think I get less twenties because of the juice.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

More games. true

Better games. no way!

Bigger games. very true, although AC only has 5/10 PL for big bet.

Safer games. this is true, although it doesn't bother me anymore. I guess you get used to it. I would like to just color up and carry chips, but I wouldn't for a variety of reasons, including nothing bigger than blacks where I play.

#1 reason to play in AC is they have real cashier boxes and will pay you in hundreds if you ask. this is my #1 pet peeve of every cardroom in nyc. they always give me some twenties when I cash out. and yes, I juice the cashier and they still do it, although I think I get less twenties because of the juice.

[/ QUOTE ]

For me the safer games issue and the legality issue were the two that concerned me most when deciding whether or not to play in NYC. I've also always lived a smidge closer to Foxwoods or close enough to AC that it was more convenient when I factored in how much I hate driving into NYC or running to make the last train out from Penn.

I haven't heard great things about the NYC limit games. I have heard great things about that PL game and 5/10-ish NL games that have been popping up.

I HATE having to wrangle 20s. This is another great reason to play in AC.

On the other hand, I'd gladly play NL in any of the northeast poker centers instead of in the games out here that I can afford to play in.

scrub
Old 11-12-2004, 02:29 PM

Looked like a monster 5/5 n/l at the "big" club last night. I was playing 4-8 a couple tables over but saw crowds form around the table a couple times as pots got up into the $5,000 range.