Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 06-10-2004, 08:55 PM

Default Re: Guessing opponent\'s hole cards on TV.

[ QUOTE ]
DrSavage: My idea was just the players in the pot would have the opportunity to guess. It was an attempt to capitalize on what players are doing anyway: calling the other guy out.

Smasharoo: I agree. There is no way you could call down specific cards. I think calling "aces", or "AK offsuit" would be sufficient. Or if the flop was seen, I could justify "king-high flush draw", or "second pair", or "stone bluff". I think there would be many variables to adjust, but I am talking about raw idea of entertainment value here.

I know everyone reading this post is a hardened poker player, who can see past the hype on the WPT. But, I am interested in bringing as many new poker players as possible to the sport. I don't see a problem in making the WPT as artificial as needed to make it entertaining.

--Cents

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it would be fun for the fans and could be educational as well....but I doubt it'll ever come close to happening.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:06 PM

How about the viewers get to play along with one player? For example, for a given hand, you get to "play along" with a player involved in the pot. You are shown that player's hole cards, but the other players cards are not shown. The viewers could guess along with the player what their opponents hold and figure out what they would do if they were there. Do this maybe 2 or 3 times an episode.

Many people who watch the show will be able to see how difficult the game really is. When watching with friends who don't really play I often hear comments on how "obvious" the correct action was. Letting them just see one players cards will clue them into how excruciating some of these decisions can be when you can't see everybody's hole cards.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:24 PM

I think this would be an amazing DVD feature. Say ESPN puts out a dvd of this years WSOP. For the final table you get to choose a player and watch every one of their hands from their perspective with audio from them describing their thought process.

Don't think it will ever happen, especially because the pros would never do it but it would be amazing and helpful.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the final table you get to choose a player and watch every one of their hands from their perspective with audio from them describing their thought process.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt you'd get the pros to do this, but even without the commentary it would be incredible. Get to view the tournament through the eyes of your favorite player. I'd be a bitch to edit, though. Doing it for two or three players wouldn't be too bad, though. Like the winner and a few big name pros. Maybe selected hands among a variety of pros.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:45 PM

LOL, I'm watching celebrity poker on bravo right now and they're doing just that, with the commentators commenting on what they would do. It's beind done more in the celeb poker slapstick style, though. WPT could do it much better IMO.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:52 PM

I don't think it would be so hard to edit they just have to put only 1 guys cards on the screen. It would be better if they gave it to you from the players perspective but they could even give you the same angle and only put 1 guys cards on the screen based on which you selected. Not sure what commentary they should use. I would say just have someone give the action - x raises making it 45k to go, y folds, action to z" that kind of thing.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I personally would like to see the WPT set to be toned down a bit (I hate the flashing lights, it has to be that much worse for the players and audience members). How difficult would it be to just have a table instead of the WWF cage match thing they have now?

[/ QUOTE ]

My father-in-law knows absolutely nothing about poker but the flashy lights and set is what caught his eye. A simple set with just a bare bones table may appeal to us as poker players but the general public needs something more to hook them in.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might think it would appeal to poker players, but try watching Late Night Poker, which does a have a simple/dark/normal poker setting.

Boring as watching paint dry.

It might just be because its such a dark dark dark setting. Get some lights.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:13 PM

Lights in late night poker is like crying in baseball... there is none. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]