Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-25-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Stud 8 low limit hand at Stars - worked out, but any misplays?

This hand worked out well. All the sixes were live, but I'd like some feedback as there were a lot of scary cards out there.

Here's the summary:
Total pot $14.25 Main pot $10.30. Side pot $3.45. | Rake $0.50
Seat 1: Parrothead77 showed [5h 7d 3h 4c Td 6h Ts] and won ($8.60) with HI: a straight, Three to Seven; LO: 7,6,5,4,3
Seat 2: TX Foldem 03 showed [7h 4d As 2d 6d 5d 7s] and won ($5.15) with HI: a pair of Sevens; LO: 6,5,4,2,A
Seat 3: Lady Aces showed [6c 8s 7c 3d 3s 4h 3c] and lost with HI: three of a kind, Threes; LO: 8,7,6,4,3
Seat 4: emeraldbay folded on the 3rd Street (didn't bet)
Seat 5: 176432 folded on the 3rd Street (didn't bet)
Seat 6: BOOOMBOOOM11 folded on the 3rd Street (didn't bet)
Seat 7: Lodoss folded on the 3rd Street (didn't bet)
Seat 8: NeverBluff77 mucked [Kh Qh 2s Qs Kc 5s Jc]

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.50/$1.00), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.25 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in

4th Street - (2.80 SB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (3.40 BB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (7.40 BB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets $0.85 and is all-in
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls___calls

River - (11.25 BB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___all-in
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___calls

Total pot: (14.25 BB)
Old 12-25-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Stud 8 low limit hand at Stars - worked out, but any misplays?

Paul,

The converter has a checkable option that allows you to show the results. It will provide all of the pertinent information that your raw summary does without exposing other players screen names.

greenage
Old 12-25-2005, 06:21 PM

Third street is a little debateable. WIth a low ante like this I would prob muck it, but I may be persuaded otherwise. I think fifth is a fold. You are against probably a made low and you have a draw to a worse low. Granted you have a gutshot, but villain just caught one of your outs. I would fold no, the pot is still small.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Third street is a little debateable. WIth a low ante like this I would prob muck it, but I may be persuaded otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ] the hearts are live as are your key str8 cards, why not limp in and see if you can catch a 3rd heart or a gutshot - the only danger is that beginners might get trapped if they hit an 8 and don't fold it on 4th.
[ QUOTE ]
Granted you have a gutshot, but villain just caught one of your outs. I would fold no, the pot is still small.

[/ QUOTE ] I disagree. You are in last position so it's worth a call. Yes a marginal hand, but you can muck on 6th if villian catches another baby. No one showed any strength on 3rd, besides, so you may have a decent chance to scoop, since it's conceivable a low has not been made yet.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Third street is a little debateable. WIth a low ante like this I would prob muck it, but I may be persuaded otherwise. I think fifth is a fold. You are against probably a made low and you have a draw to a worse low. Granted you have a gutshot, but villain just caught one of your outs. I would fold no, the pot is still small.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree on both counts. I fold third street with this hand unless I am much later to act (or if there are no low cards in or left to act behind me, perhaps).

On fifth, everything he said, plus you have another low draw working possibly as well as yours, even if Mr. Ace has paired up (or started with a high which he did not raise on 3rd?). In short, you are 3 outs to half the pot most of the time; you scoop almost never. Mitigating that somewhat is the fact that your main low competition is nearly all-in which will free up some bets later on for you to scoop if you hit (as you indeed did), not to mention that Mr. Ace may be spewing off his remaining chips on a draw. This is not enough to swing this to a call, in my opinion.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Third street is a little debateable. WIth a low ante like this I would prob muck it, but I may be persuaded otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ] the hearts are live as are your key str8 cards, why not limp in and see if you can catch a 3rd heart or a gutshot - the only danger is that beginners might get trapped if they hit an 8 and don't fold it on 4th.
[ QUOTE ]
Granted you have a gutshot, but villain just caught one of your outs. I would fold no, the pot is still small.

[/ QUOTE ] I disagree. You are in last position so it's worth a call. Yes a marginal hand, but you can muck on 6th if villian catches another baby. No one showed any strength on 3rd, besides, so you may have a decent chance to scoop, since it's conceivable a low has not been made yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see that you were last to act on fourth, I think a call is much more of an option here. Would you still call this if you weren't last to act?
Old 12-25-2005, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't see that you were last to act on fourth, I think a call is much more of an option here. Would you still call this if you weren't last to act?

[/ QUOTE ] you actually were refering to 5th street when hero bricked .. in middle position I would need to feel strongly that it would only cost one bet, otherwise I think it's a good laydown as you might get jammed out of the pot against certain boards. it's important, as you imply, to save that one big bet in marginal situations.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:30 PM

Thanks for letting me know about the converter - I wasn't sure why it wouldn't show the summary. I'll look for that option.
-Paul
Old 12-25-2005, 10:34 PM

Thanks for the feedback. The call was a little marginal, though the player with the scariest board was forced all in. In hindsight, I think the call was a little loose.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:37 PM

3rd:You have a 3-card 7 low,double gapped,2 flush hand with 1 heart out,only 1 pair card out(the 7).Sixes are live,1 four out,1 deuce out,& 1 A out.This is not a bad starting hand at all,& your cards are pretty live.I certainly would not let the low ante keep me from investing .25 to give this hand a chance.I would be more interested in the future potential of the hand.

4th:Nice catch.There's no reason to think that your hand is not very competitive at this point.

5th:An easy call.Seat 2 has to have a made 6 low for you to be out of competition with him,& he's almost all in,anyway.On the high side,besides your gut shot for the remaining three 6's,an A or 2 will give you additional straight chances.You have a good chance to get some money back on the low side,& scoop chances are still there.

Overall:Well played,imho.

Note:Although the more conservative views about this hand are well presented & perhaps correct,I just can't see the hand as being that weak,myself(obviously).