Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market

Old 12-17-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: How Does a Money Market Account Work?

[ QUOTE ]
Degen, don't take this as a personal attack, 'cause it's not. This is more a general comment on the board...it seems like there's quite a few people here who are "playing at limits above their bankroll," to use a poker analogy. Be careful with your money.
Anyway....here are the two comments from Degen over the last few weeks that prompted this:
[ QUOTE ]
How Does a Money Market Account Work? .... how much do these companies figure to profit on deposits if they are giving out 3.75-4%?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
100% GOOG

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe check out snipers post today on my latest blog entry...

i've since jammed my tail like ALL THE WAY between my legs

o and, why does that first one make it seem like i'm playing over my head?
Old 12-17-2005, 08:14 PM

It wasn't the first one by itself, it was the two together. (It struck me as someone without a basic understanding of the financial markets putting all his eggs into one highly volatile basket.)
I hadn't read Snipe's thing yet but I'll go do that now.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:38 PM

Degen,

On the off chance that this was a "business" rather than personal inquiry...

The easiest way to learn how these funds operate is to read a perspectus... they pretty much detail exactly what they do.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:54 AM

Most of the money markets discussed on this board are Money Market Deposit Accounts (MMDA's) and are fully insured to $100,000 and carry zero risk.

These deposit accounts have nothing to do the stock/bond markets, but do have a similar confusing name.

Here is a quick synopsis:

Two products that are easy to confuse because they have similar names are Money Market Deposit Accounts and money market mutual funds (often called money market funds). MMDAs, as we described previously and as the name indicates, are deposits and, as a result, are covered by FDIC insurance. Money market mutual funds, on the other hand, are funds that invest primarily in short-term corporate bonds or government securities and are not deposit accounts insured by the FDIC.

To minimize potential confusion about which products are FDIC-insured, banks and savings institutions are required by federal banking regulators to clearly differentiate insured deposits from investments, both in their sales practices and their advertisements. For example, to the extent possible, investment sales should not take place in a bank's teller area. Institutions also must ensure that sales personnel are properly qualified and trained, and that they recommend investments that are suitable for each customer. In addition, when offering or advertising an investment product to a customer, FDIC-insured institutions must indicate that the investment:

Is not FDIC-insured;

Is not guaranteed by the bank or savings institution; and

Is subject to investment risk, including the possible loss of principal.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:41 AM

so the ING/Emmigrant accounts are of the deposit variety, and so is PayPal's...and these are offering 3.75%+ with zero risk? why on earth would somebody put their money in an account giving less then? my bank is giving less than 1% on my savings account...

thx a lot Uglyowl, do you or anybody else know if there are off shore-varities of these accounts? obviously they wouldn't be FDIC insured but hopefully they could carry some other assurance and get the risk as close to 0 as possible...
Old 12-19-2005, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3.75%+ with zero risk? why on earth would somebody put their money in an account giving less then?

[/ QUOTE ]
Recently I sent an email to about two dozen friends and family members telling them about the ING savings account. If they signed up, they would have gotten a bonus of $x (I forget what) and I would have gotten $25. How many of these people (who know and trust and love me) took the time to sign up for this obviously-more-beneficial-than-what-they-have-now account? One.
The average American never ceases to amaze me with his level of cluelessness and inertia in regard to finances.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The average American never ceases to amaze me with his level of cluelessness and inertia in regard to finances.

[/ QUOTE ]

The inertia is overwhelming at times. My wife had to basically shake me a couple times before I was willing to open an ING account. Now I use the account heavily, storing my tax money there before I have to send it to Uncle Sam. But early in the year, I overpayed my estimated payments by $16k to avoid having to open a savings account to keep the money in. Dumb dumb. I lost about 16k*(0.03) = $480 just by being pigheaded.

There's probably a slightly better place to keep my Uncle Sam money, but I'm too lazy to try to find it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3.75%+ with zero risk? why on earth would somebody put their money in an account giving less then?

[/ QUOTE ]
Recently I sent an email to about two dozen friends and family members telling them about the ING savings account. If they signed up, they would have gotten a bonus of $x (I forget what) and I would have gotten $25. How many of these people (who know and trust and love me) took the time to sign up for this obviously-more-beneficial-than-what-they-have-now account? One.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had the exact same experience. You basically have to march up to your family's computers and sign them up yourself. It's rediculous.

Krishan
Old 12-20-2005, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so the ING/Emmigrant accounts are of the deposit variety, and so is PayPal's

[/ QUOTE ]

Emigrant and ING are deposit FDIC insured accounts. Paypal is a MM mutual fund.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, so true. Bank of America is offering 0.55% on their savings which is typical for your large B&M bank. Yet these guys continue to thrive on the backs of "stupid people".

There are now CD specials running you will not find on bankrate.com as they are for unusual terms (i.e. 16 months) that do not fit into their search. A few institutions are offering 5.0% CD specials and should be fairly common soon. Some banks are trying to hit there 2005 deposit goals and are offering great rates now.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bank of America is offering 0.55% on their savings

[/ QUOTE ]
And check out their CD rates as compared to most of the others (I think you can get this type of stuff on bankrate.com). BAC mgmt. won't admit this publicly, but it's as plain as the nose on your face: they have actually adopted the strategy of NOT attracting these types of assests. They're actually TRYING to repel new customers (and "entice" their current customers to leave), and yet the inertia of the system is still keeping those assets there.

(If you're interested in a more in-depth analysis of BAC, this strategy, etc., see Tom Brown's writings on bankstocks.com.)