Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 12:39 AM

Default What a fish calling station.

Villian in this hand is 25/8/3 or something. A little loose/passive preflop and loose aggressive postflop.

villian opens on the button, I call in the BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

flop is T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I check, villian bets, I raise, villian 3bets, I call.

turn is a K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I check, villian bets, I call.

river is a 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check, villian bets, I call.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Re: What a fish calling station.

What am I missing here?

He could have a T or K you know...... who are you referring to as the calling station? The last action on each line is I call...
Old 12-17-2005, 01:30 AM

Hrm...

Flop: 9-to-1 odds, pair+BDFD = no brainer call.

Turn: I don't think you're running him off whatever he 3bet the flop with, and you now have a flush draw, I don't think you can play this any other way.

River: He's not folding a better hand, and most of what we're beating is bluffs so the question is will we be winning often enough to call. We're getting 7-to-1 here. Playing around with pokerstove it looks like if it's possible he might make the flop 3bet with something like A4s (with BDFD) or AQs we have enough overlay to call (between that and the times he has 78s, which will often be the case), otherwise we're basically only beating a busted straight draw and aren't getting proper odds unless we're willing to call for image reasons.

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it if he's a smart TAG he probably doesn't bet the river with A4, or any ace for that matter since that was kind of a dry flop and whatever you checkraised with was probably a busted draw or some piece of the board. If he plays this way then it seems we have to fold unless he's so aggressive with his resteals that he's willing to 3bet a checkraise and then bluff through to the river without even a draw.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:14 AM

GHL - I was referring ot myself as the fish calling station.

Xhad-

Right, flop and turn are easy, PF also pretty easy. Only real tough part is the river. Opening on the button his range is pretty large, 3betting the flop might narrow it a bit but i'm not sure. I big fat hadn't played a hand with him and didn't know what he would do. His range is still pretty large on the turn obviosuly, but of course I have to call there. The question is what's his range on the river.

He 3bet the flop but he was unknown so that didn't narrow his hand range much. The turn K was very bad for me against his range though. First, it'll freeze up better hands, second it hits him a lot. Is he going to repop the flop with AQ/AJ/Ax or some pocket pair he thinks is best and then bet it all the way including the river? I don't know, I dind't know, and that's why I felt like a calling station when I called the river. It just didn't seem like hw as bluffing but I called anyway, I dunno.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:28 PM

What limit is this?
Old 12-17-2005, 04:07 PM

Default result

GHL-
5/10

All-
I called the river as I said, he showed 33(wtf?) and my hand was good.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:17 PM

I have not looked at the results yet, so heres my take on the hand.

PREFLOP: Standard

FLOP: Your choices are between, check raising, betting, or checking calling and donking a blank turn, all these choices are close in EV, you have a lot of flexibility on this street.

TURN: Since I believe a bet, or a checkraise will never win you the pot on the turn against this specific opponent, checking and calling is your only option.

RIVER: Given this guys stats he is going to overplay alot o f hands postflop, and this tendency will be magnified in steal situations such as this. With your hand on that board, I would never fold the river against this opponent.

I thought you played the hand as well as you can.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The turn K was very bad for me against his range though. First, it'll freeze up better hands, second it hits him a lot. Is he going to repop the flop with AQ/AJ/Ax or some pocket pair he thinks is best and then bet it all the way including the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I hate that king. Some of his reasonable 3-bet hands on the flop are overcards+straight draw combinations all of which hit at least top pair.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know, I dind't know, and that's why I felt like a calling station when I called the river. It just didn't seem like hw as bluffing but I called anyway, I dunno.

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably would have ended up calling if I were in that situation too, though I'm not completely sure it's right. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I think Villain betting things like AQ and 77 is wrong on the river but that doesn't mean he won't do it.