Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 11:53 PM

Default BB will call any 2, but too short to mess around...

I just got into a bubble where it was unprofitable for me to push a 3-4bb stack with anything but a tight range, and where any time I was in the SB I would be called with any 2. What do you do in this situation? You won't probally won't get a chance for a +ev push outside the sb, and from the sb you can probally only push 50%?? You can't even hold your ground doing that, and racing is definately better than being blinded out. Is this a case of 'damned if you do, damn if you don't' and that racing provides the least -ev option??

I can't remember ever experiencing a bubble like this. These 2 guys just had no respect, and I think I handled it terribly (I feel like what I *should* have been doing goes against everything we learn).
Old 12-16-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Re: BB will call any 2, but too short to mess around...

can u explain this a bit better? maybe give stack sizes and calling ranges? have the big stacks on your left is very troublesome if they are loose. However, if the big stack is on your right and raising alot, that also screws your calling ranges. I don't think i answered your question at all, so please elaborate.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:25 AM

The problem is there isn't any specific situation, since chips were flying around the table. The 2 LAGs were to my left, while the more sensible player was to my right.

Calling range, I guess the LAG to my left would've called with maybe 90% from the BB (he might fold AA for laughs), and at least 50% when I'm UTG or button. The LAG to his left might call 20% when he's not BB, and maybe 40% when he is bb. Most pots where these guys playing vs each other, just passing chips back and forth.

There was hardly a situation where I could raised from first in. It didn't help that I kept getting rags.

Neither of the 2 loosies would die. I just checked, there were 14 all-ins on the bubble between the 3 other players, and each time the shorter stack won. Ouch.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:29 AM

I think you played it fine-- if others are going in so often, let them duke it out. ICM and SnG strat says that when others go to war, YOU GAIN. I think you can't let yourself get below 3.5xBB-- that's the critical point of no return where u have to push from UTG. (of course, if there is a 1x BB or less than u have to wait for him). Anyone think i'm saying something unituative or blatantly wrong?
Old 12-16-2005, 01:41 AM

"let them duke it out"

True. I guess I just felt it was wrong since I was forced into a situation where anything I did was probally -ev. It's a pretty unlikely situation to get into, and I couldn't have foreseen that my FE wold cease to exist. Still feels wrong not to be in control.

Can't believe how lucky that guy was though. No easier than going from 200:7800 HU and winning it.