Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-15-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Philosophy questions - Morality & Moral Theories

[ QUOTE ]
Using utilitarianism for a basis of policy is oppressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any policy that forces someone to do or not do something could be seen as oppressive. Even the very basic: "don't steal". Who has the right to tell me what I do and don't own? I think I own the world, and everything in it. Are you going to force me to let you have some of my stuff? That's oppression.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any policy that forces someone to do or not do something could be seen as oppressive. Even the very basic: "don't steal". Who has the right to tell me what I do and don't own?

[/ QUOTE ]

The real owner.

[ QUOTE ]
I think I own the world, and everything in it. Are you going to force me to let you have some of my stuff? That's oppression.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's basically the statist argument. Unfortunately, decree isn't sufficient to claim a legitimate property right. Nice try, though.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any policy that forces someone to do or not do something could be seen as oppressive. Even the very basic: "don't steal". Who has the right to tell me what I do and don't own?

[/ QUOTE ]

The real owner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is??

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think I own the world, and everything in it. Are you going to force me to let you have some of my stuff? That's oppression.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's basically the statist argument. Unfortunately, decree isn't sufficient to claim a legitimate property right. Nice try, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice try refuting me. So, who gets to decide who owns what? Take our 1000-person island... who owns it? I say I do. And who are you to oppress me by taking my property?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about force? Those are the only two methods I know of for the origination of land ownership.

Scott
Old 12-16-2005, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about force? Those are the only two methods I know of for the origination of land ownership.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. And both are oppression. So, property rights are gained by oppression. So, now that we are all oppressed, perhaps we should arrange some agreements so that we can be happy?
Old 12-16-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice try refuting me. So, who gets to decide who owns what? Take our 1000-person island... who owns it? I say I do. And who are you to oppress me by taking my property?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, decree is not a legitimate method of acquiring property. It is used (by states, often) as a method of gaining control of property, but it does not confer a legitimate property right.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Force is a method of gaining *control* of property. It does not, however give you a property right.

Property rights stem from self-ownership. If you own yourself, you also own your labor. You can sell your labor to others in exchange for property, which is a legitimate way of obtaining a property right. You also can mix your labor with unowned materials, and obtain a property right in the finished product. Homesteading of land is a way of origination property rights in land.

You can use decree, conquest, or eminent domain (a sort of combination of decree and conquest) to obtain "normative control" of property. That's not the same as legitimately owning it.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:28 AM

Note also, the logical conclusion of this is that states cannot ever legitimately own property, since a state cannot work the land except with either slave labor or by paying for labor (or by paying for the land directly) with stolen property (taxes).
Old 12-16-2005, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can sell your labor to others in exchange for property

[/ QUOTE ]

And the person who you obtain the property from, please tell me how they obtained it without using force or decree.

Scott
Old 12-16-2005, 02:36 AM

Read the next sentence.