Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 06:31 AM

Default Security at Garden City (San Jose, CA)

Hi all! First post here. Anyway, here goes...

I'm moving back to San Jose soon, and plan to hit Garden City and Bay 101. I have never played at Garden City before, but when I went in to look at it previously, the room & crowd felt seedy, and I felt like the parking lot was poorly lit.

For those of you who've been there, how safe is it to come and go from Garden City, especially at night? Have there been any incidents of muggings/stickups that you've heard of?

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Security at Garden City (San Jose, CA)

Yes the parking lot is poorly lit. The room and patrons are also pretty seedy, and security is either too high/stupid/lazy to do anything. I do know of a mugging in that parking lot.

That said, if you want to play up to 20-40, I can't imagine a better place in the world to play poker.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:31 PM

Garden City is definitely an "old school" type of poker room, with all of the negative aspects of such. However, as JAS indicated, the games there simply have to be experienced to be believed.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi all! First post here. Anyway, here goes...

I'm moving back to San Jose soon, and plan to hit Garden City and Bay 101. I have never played at Garden City before, but when I went in to look at it previously, the room & crowd felt seedy, and I felt like the parking lot was poorly lit.

For those of you who've been there, how safe is it to come and go from Garden City, especially at night? Have there been any incidents of muggings/stickups that you've heard of?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't worry about getting mugged in the parking lot so much as someone following you home and jumping you there. Whenever I come home with a big score, I always make sure to check my mirrors as I'm driving home and maybe drive around the block a couple of times. I've really only heard of people getting robbed after they had a big score over on the Asian games side though.

Be safe.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:55 PM

Do they still share a parking lot with a massage parlor?

The place seemed safe when I played there occasionaly in the late 90's, but the massage parlor out back was a bit odd.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:57 PM

Park in the front, or to the left of the building (between it and the Bank of the West at the intersection, towards the street). It feels better. That's where I always tried to park, and I never felt uncomfortable walking to and from my car. I agree with J.A. Sucker and analyst, if you play in the 20-40 game or the 8-16 half kill game there you will be loving it.