Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Trouble with TPGK (KQs)

The lower the stakes the more OFTEN your hand is beaten. Also, the more often your hand is CALLED BY A WORSE HAND.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I under the wrong when thinking that TPTK at these stakes is almost always golden?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, yes that's incorrect thinking. Just becasuse the opponents are weak doesn't mean the hands they show down are weak. In fact, I'm with Kathleen -- it's usually quite the opposite.

Isn't that why the popular advice on 2+2 is to nut puddle at the low stakes games? Becasue you need to have the best hand to win?
Old 12-10-2005, 09:04 PM

I suppose I was wrong then. Yes, I try to nut peddle, just because many of the players at 25NL (as I am learning) are very very loose. Thanks for comments.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:08 PM

With c44% of your stack already in the middle, you have no room IMO to fold. Your options now are either to call or fold. I would just push here and try to make it harder on the straight and flush draws to call you. (although they will most of the time)
Old 12-11-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Push the turn. This bet is almost always some kind of draw, or weaker pair + draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we rooting for a fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but our stack is going to end up in the middle if we call the turn anyway. The reason we push is that we are hoping villain will make a mistake and call with a worse hand OR that he will make a mistake and pay too much to draw.

The call allows him not only to beat us for the rest of our stack when we're second best, but also allows him to hit his draw with the correct odds.

And we already said that the fold is silly.

Pushing is the only real choice here, unless we can find a fold on the end when we'll be getting a great price to call.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Push the turn. This bet is almost always some kind of draw, or weaker pair + draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we rooting for a fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good chance we have the best hand. Good chance villain is drawing. He won't payoff with the rest of his stack on the river unless he improves. Just push. Would you have bet if he had checked? Because I treat the $5 bet as a check in this spot. If though he will have odds to draw out when we push, it's still better than letting them see the river cheaply and we'll be pot committed anyways.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good chance we have the best hand. Good chance villain is drawing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this totally. And his turn bet reenforces this read. But supposing he does have a draw or a worse hand, we want him to make a mistake by making a bad call. A push is going to encourage him to fold. I don't want to root for a fold -- I want to root for a bad call.

Although, given stacks, a perfect bet might be impossible. I'd still try to make it 25, though. We're just as potstuck as if we had pushed, but we have a better chance of a bad call.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good chance we have the best hand. Good chance villain is drawing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this totally. And his turn bet reenforces this read. But supposing he does have a draw or a worse hand, we want him to make a mistake by making a bad call. A push is going to encourage him to fold. I don't want to root for a fold -- I want to root for a bad call.

Although, given stacks, a perfect bet might be impossible. I'd still try to make it 25, though. We're just as potstuck as if we had pushed, but we have a better chance of a bad call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grunch, hero's turn push is for ~$12.50. That means villain only has to call $7.50 more. I don't see villain folding anything here.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Grunch, hero's turn push is for ~$12.50. That means villain only has to call $7.50 more. I don't see villain folding anything here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. My post was assuming villain calls the push 100% of the time.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:42 AM

Oh, my bad. I thought hero covered. Sorry. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]