Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 11-22-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Random Number Account Names

Does anyone think this is the future? To prevent datamining, when you sit down at a table, your online poker site of choice will assign you a random 10 digit number? You would not have a read on anyone, except during that particular session.

Thoughts? (if this has been discussed into the ground pleaes provide link)
Old 11-22-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Random Number Account Names

Would it matter if your opponents had a 10-digit number or a username? Either way, you can just keep track of him/her through the number...am I missing something here?
Old 11-22-2005, 02:17 PM

The number would change everytime you join a table. It's never (or rarely) the same twice.

You log onto a table and you are 16976519870
You log onto another table at the same time and you are 9972570720

The next day you log onto hte same two tables and you are 895418597040 and 126879120857

or whatever.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:41 PM

The amount of numbers doesn't matter if you are doing just a random assignment. You could just use Seats 1-10. But I think that a lot of players (read: a lot of the fish) like the ability for uniqueness and customization. They don't lie awake at night thinking about datamining and how to stop it. And the rest of us like to know who everyone is, so while this would stop people from having thousands of hands on you, I doubt it would ever be used.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:34 PM

I think KinkyKid is right. As a marketing tool, it's useful to let people have their own little custom account and maybe do some chat schmoozing under their username. Most fish would probably rather be at a site like that than a site with the cold atmosphere of random numbers.

Until you have a clientele that wants a site using random numbers to prevent data mining, you won't see the gambling websites offering that. And if you did, would you really want to play at that site anyway? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2005, 04:44 PM

But then again the appeal of PS over PP for many noobs is the simple fact you can upload your own unique image. I have a couple of friends that wont touch PP cause the PS avatar is huge factor to them. Make everyone a boring number and loose the individuality = loose more fish than the smaller % of stat PT users. It wont happen. PP will probably jump on the avatar boat soon too.