Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 10:39 PM

Default Another live NL hand; KQ this time

Blinds are 2/5 and buy-in is $200. I have about $900 in front of me at the time and the villain in the hand has me covered. The villain is loose, aggressive, and tricky.

There are two EP limpers and I raise to $20 with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The BB and the EP limpers call, so the flop is four ways. (The game is generally this loose and the range of hands of all players involved is quite wide here. The two non-villain players are loose but passive, but don't enter into this hand.)

Flop is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Checked to me and I check. Turn is the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. BB checks, villain bets $40, other EP limper folds, I raise to $120, BB folds, villain makes it $325 total, I fold.

How did I do?
Old 11-19-2005, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Another live NL hand; KQ this time

Care to elaborate on the turn raise? You made it pretty obvious on the flop you have high cards, yet on the turn try to bluff when your hand is transparent..... usually a very bad idea against LAGs.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Another live NL hand; KQ this time

Yeah I think I botched this hand pretty good. I posted it because maybe it is a somewhat typical "beginner's mistake." (This was my first time playing NL live.)

The preflop raise is OK I think. I have value in trying to hit top pair, good kicker and felt that I could safely lay my hand down if I hit my pair but faced any amout of action. Only this one LAG seemed willing to bluff, but even he was careful when a dangerous board was present.

The flop check is so-so. I don't think this looks like a good board to fire a second bet in on the turn, and the other two players in the hand were loose enough to call with Ax if x was big enough. Plus, despite the ragged nature of the board, there was still a fair chance someone had hit the board or had a PP to start with. I also figured KQ is a decent to check behind here, because I can profitably bluff if an A hits and it is checked around to me.

The turn bluff raise is just bad. (Though how bad, I don't know.) I think it's clear I missed the board, and while I wasn't certain the villain was willing to 3-bet bluff, I knew that was a possibility. Especially since my bet looks like such a transparent bluff. And the size of my bluff is so high compared to the size of the pot, that it basically has to work about 50% of the time (a little less if he just calls with one-pair hands, as I will sometimes suck out on the river).

Given that raising seems to be pretty wrong, is folding right here? I think I would call AK here, but I don't know about KQ. It would also help if I had a read on what hands villain will bet again with on the river, and maybe I can't call unless I have a good enough read to know the likelihood he will continue a bluff with another river bet.