Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 10-27-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Re: QQ getting raised on the flop

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Button will probably raise top pair instinctivly. Button will probably put our hero on a single hand (as bad players regularly do) like AK and wants to punish him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. But what about the SB, who cold-called? Also, at what point do you think you're most likely against a set, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't put him (SB) on a set. I think he would raise a set here. Could be sitting on anything really? We don't know anything about him yet and he has only shown us that he will call. He could easily have something like pocket 9s or even something as bad a AT. Does anyone have huge concerns about SB here?

I agree that the button probably has a J. SB I guess could also have a Jack here with a medium to weak kicker and wants to showdown as cheap as possible or improve. Many people defend their blinds WAY to much these levels.
If we 3-bet here, we will get the most info at the cheapest price. If the button just calls, he most likely does not have a set (most likely). If he caps, well then we need to look a bit harder.. ;-)
Old 10-27-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Button will probably raise top pair instinctivly. Button will probably put our hero on a single hand (as bad players regularly do) like AK and wants to punish him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. But what about the SB, who cold-called? Also, at what point do you think you're most likely against a set, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't put him (SB) on a set. I think he would raise a set here. Could be sitting on anything really? We don't know anything about him yet and he has only shown us that he will call. He could easily have something like pocket 9s or even something as bad a AT. Does anyone have huge concerns about SB here?

I agree that the button probably has a J. SB I guess could also have a Jack here with a medium to weak kicker and wants to showdown as cheap as possible or improve. Many people defend their blinds WAY to much these levels.
If we 3-bet here, we will get the most info at the cheapest price. If the button just calls, he most likely does not have a set (most likely). If he caps, well then we need to look a bit harder.. ;-)

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy 3 bet. I would not be worried at all about the small blind yet. All he has shown us so far is that he is a calling station. He could have anything. At these levels, I've seen people call all the way through the river with 2 UNDER cards. As stated, the 3 bet defines your hand much more for the lowest cost and more importantly, probably gets more value for it while you are most likely ahead.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How often does the pf raiser put in a continuation bet on the flop in general terms? Remember that Villain usually doesn't know enough about poker to consider things like the number of players in the hand and the composition of the flop. He just sees people "bluffing" all the time after raising pf and could therefore be raising any number of things. He has to feel pretty good about TP here, for instance. There's also a non-insignificant chance that Villain is laggy and wants to put pressure on us since we seem fairly likely to have whiffed.

The cold-caller shouldn't worry us until we're given reason to worry. People tend to call too much. He might be planning to slowplay a set, but there are any number of other reasons for a loose player to call.

We start to worry about being against a set when someone says very clearly that they have a hand they like a lot and don't much care what we have.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:36 PM

With 2 players trapped I 3-bet now.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:24 AM

everyone pretty much came to the same conclusion as I did. I was pretty sure the button had just a pair of jacks, though I didnt know what to think about the SB calling. I felt 3-betting now would most likely chase the other player out and would put pressure on the button. If he capped I could be fairly certain he had a big hand, if he just called then I could picture him to have any hand from AJ-KJ-QJ (oh please let a queen hit if he has that) or even something like J10.

The SB calling down worried me as well, but at this level you don't see many people giving up their blinds so he could have such a wide variety of hands.

So reraised, the MP folded and the button and sb called. Now I was fairly confident he had AJ, the sb is only calling so I can't put him on anything onther than some small pair.

Before the turn, I felt that my hand would be good as long as I stay clear of an Ace or King. When the turn came out another rag, I bet out and again was called by both players.

The river was another rag, I lead out one more time and the button calls and the SB calls as well.

I suppose I could post their results in white below.

<font color="white">Button held KJ and the SB held QJ </font> [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2005, 11:26 AM

3-bet now.