Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 09:06 PM

Default The Best Free Show in Vegas: Purple Reign

So Yugo came to town to hang out, play cards, get lap dances, and all the other standard Vegas stuff.

We discussed at length how many 5 year-olds we each thought we could take, and we decided that the answer is basically as many 5 year-olds as you could fit onto the basketball court. The specific reasons for why this is the "correct" answer is convoluted, and dependent upon a specific offensive strategy that is non-exploitable. It is also beyond the scope of this post, so I will leave it at that. (and for what it's worth, we decided that a rip-cord style large chainsaw would be the perfect weapon for the weapons option.)

Okay, so last night was good.

We went to "Bite of Las Vegas," which is basically an outdoor concert with good food and cheap beer. We ate and drank and became merry. We listened to Better than Ezra but decided not to stay for Collective Soul.

The party (8 of us) moved back to my place where I have a stripper pole in my living room. The girls danced on the pole. The guys drank Heineken and Goose. Vegas, baby.

Then, somewhat randomly, one of my friends suggested that we go to the Boardwalk on the strip and watch the <font color="purple">Prince</font> impersonator show. It was due to start in like, 30 minutes, and I live about 25 minutes away, so we had to decide yes or no. We chose "yes," and headed out.

Now, for those of you who don't know Vegas, the Boardwalk is a friggin' toilet. So, my expectations were not very high. Then, I found out that the show was free. I couldn't imagine how a free show at the Boardwalk could be anything other than a disaster. But I was in a good mood, and I was actually kind of hoping that it was going to be a ridiculous joke... but it wasn't. Not by a longshot.

<font color="purple">Purple Reign</font> is a <font color="purple">Prince-Impersonation</font> band and they totally rock. Replete with Morris Day and Jerome look-alikes and a kick-ass group of musicians, this show was the absolute nuts.

The <font color="purple">Prince</font> guy looked quite a bit like [color;purple]Prince</font>, danced quite a bit like <font color="purple">Prince</font>, and sang a little bit like <font color="purple">Prince</font>. The music was superb, and they were able to really get the crowd into it.

The Morris Day and the Time segues practically stole the show, and probably would have if it weren't for Adrian Diamond.

<font color="red">Adrian Diamond</font>

<font color="purple">Purple Reign</font> played 3, 1-hour sets starting at 11pm, and we stayed all the way until the final number at 3:00am (<font color="purple">Purple Rain</font>, of course.)

During the first set this chick comes out on stage and starts dancing around... shaking her ass. She didn't sing, she didn't play the tamborine... she just shook her ass. It was kind of distracting at first, and I didn't really think it fit in with the show. (Obviously, the real <font color="purple">Prince</font> wouldn't have a full-time ass-shaker dancing around unless it was part of a choreographed number, like for Erotic City or Get Off.) But it's quite hard to actually maintain a <font color="purple">Prince</font>-like level of entertainment for 4 hours, so somebody (probably Boardwalk management) decided to add Adrian Diamond to the act.

What at first seemed like a distraction eventually turned into a mesmerizing display of booty-jigglin, nug-wigglin, belly-shimmerin' magic. This girl had charisma and could shake it with Shakira-like speed and precision. It was awesome.

Speaking of charisma, this band has it. I don't remember seeing a live performance that involved so many band members capable of captivating the attention of an entire audience for extended periods of time.

<font color="purple">Prince</font> did it. Morris Day did it. Jerome definitely did it. Adrian Diamond did it, and then some. But I even found myself watching the lead guitarist for extended periods of time, and the keyboard player (a fill-in, apparently, since he wasn't donning Doctor garb) busted out a harp solo in the third set as he walked around the floor using bar stools as stilts that drew a standing O.

Yugo got sauced and publicly pronounced his love for Adrian Diamond. I saw her first, so I had to kick his ass.

Next time you are in Vegas, check it out. <font color="purple">Purple Reign</font> at the Boardwalk, Tuesday-Saturday at 11pm. Get there early if you want a table.

Irieguy
Old 10-23-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Re: The Best Free Show in Vegas: Purple Reign

<font color="purple">tl;dr </font>
Old 10-23-2005, 09:27 PM

Sounds like a fun show, and a good time. Stripper pole in the living room? Nice.

Cheers.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:54 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple">tl;dr </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 10-24-2005, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stripper pole in the living room?

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading this, I've decided I'm getting one installed somewhere. Just gotta put it somewhere unobtrusive...
Old 10-24-2005, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading this, I've decided I'm getting one installed somewhere. Just gotta put it somewhere unobtrusive...

[/ QUOTE ]

I can vouch for the superiority of having it in ones living room.

A very good time was had by all in the utmost comfort and with a 52" plasma at the ready.

Yugoslav
Old 10-24-2005, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are portable, and sturdy enough to support an inverted 170-lb man, at least.

Here's the one I have: stripper poles

Irieguy