Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 10-15-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Overbetting the pot all-in

When is it correct to do this? I think I may be losing extra $ in situations where I value bet for less than the pot when it would appear that the opponent has a strong enough hand/is loose enough to call an allin either on the turn or river.

Example:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Hero ($81.45)
Button ($44.70)
SB ($47.90)
BB ($47.94)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, Button calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($4.75) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, Button calls $3.

Turn: ($10.75) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, Button calls $7.

River: ($24.75) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, Button calls $15.

Final Pot: $54.75

In such situations I have a tendency to bet less to ensure a call, only to be shown a hand which I beat that would probably have called an overbet often enough to show a profit. Any help in calculating when it is better to just push would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-15-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Overbetting the pot all-in

pretty player and board dependent, for example if the board has paired and i'm full, but the river comes a 3-flush, I might push/overbet the pot.

generally I don't overbet the pot, the most I might bet is a full pop. either way, if you've built a pot with a strong hand properly, a half-full sized pot bet is plenty
Old 10-15-2005, 02:18 PM

thanks for the response, ... I guess I've just been getting a bit greedy with big hands lately [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2005, 02:32 PM

I think you bet thhe example hand OK. The turn made your hand but also put two flush draws out there so betting the pot is fine. You want the player to make a mistake and call your bet with a draw and not push him out here. The river pairs the board giving a slowplayed set a full house ( I see players slowplay in this spot with a set all the time) so your bet on the end is spot on to get caled by a weaker hand or raised by the full house getting you out if you've been outdrawn with just minor bruising.

Overbetting is IMO best reserved for those times you have a perpetual look up artist on the line who will call just to see if your bluffing with Ace high. And of course as a bluff, when you have a weak tight player with a probable overpair who will buckle under pressue.

Someone will now rip this post to shreds and I will humbly beg forgiveness for presuming to reply.