Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 09-29-2005, 01:56 AM

Default I\'m an idiot

When I am running good, I laugh at how I get paid every single time I raise on the big streets with a big hand, often by horribly weak hands that can only beat an outright bluff.

Then I run bad for a while and I get it in my head that I should steal pots. So I put in raises on big streets as an outright bluff and get called by horribly weak hands that still beat mine.

Like I said, I'm an idiot. Maybe this post will shame me into not being a complete idiot. Probably not, but it's worth a shot.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Re: I\'m an idiot

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said, I'm an idiot. Maybe this post will shame me into not being a complete idiot. Probably not, but it's worth a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Shame is destructive, not constructive.

Guilt, however, can be productive. But tormenting yourself over something you cannot control (your past self) only serves to create more shame.

Inconsistencies, mistakes, and imperfect memories are obstacles that we humans will have to face for the rest of our lives. You will make mistakes in poker, mainly because it is not an easy or simple game. Playing perfect poker is a ridiculous goal because it is one that we will never achieve. But it certainly sounds like you are learning from your mistakes. If you keep going in that direction and learn to accept your imperfection as a poker player rather than beat yourself up for it, I think you'll be pleased with the results.

Good luck.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:13 AM

Don't worry dude. Im worse. First I look and laugh at the people that call my top set c/r on the turn with bottom pair. Then when I'm running bad, I call their c/r on the turn with A high.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't worry dude. Im worse. First I look and laugh at the people that call my top set c/r on the turn with bottom pair. Then when I'm running bad, I call their c/r on the turn with A high.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do that too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The thing I need most at the poker table is something that will speed up the time it takes for my brain to filter out the stupid thoughts that rush in. Sometimes they consume me and before I know they have my finger push the wrong. button. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing I need most at the poker table is something that will speed up the time it takes for my brain to filter out the stupid thoughts that rush in. Sometimes they consume me and before I know they have my finger push the wrong. button.

[/ QUOTE ]
To be totally honest I think it takes a lot more than time to filter the "stupid" thoughts out. It takes a lot of hard work. This is because a lot of thoughts that look "stupid" in retrospect may have looked brilliant if they had worked out or been correct for that particular instance. We all like to think that we're above and beyond results oriented thinking but the truth is that it is so deeply seeded within our thought process that it's impossible to completely purge. The best we can do is attempt to recognize results oriented thinking as much as possible, so that by being aware of it we can start to let go of it.

Taking your time on every play is a great starting point though.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:52 AM

I like to talk out a prop, and hold it infront of me as a reminder not to do ridiculous at the mere suspicious that they are taking shots at me. The prop can be anything - a watch, a coin, a gun rack
Old 09-29-2005, 04:46 AM

I almost cried when I read this. Every time I call the turn CR with A high, I just wanna shoot myself right after... Then I call the river thinking A high could be good 9% of the time here or something like that...

God, I too am an idiot. And I like to berate the fish sometimes. There I said it...

C-Dog
Old 09-29-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I almost cried when I read this. Every time I call the turn CR with A high, I just wanna shoot myself right after... Then I call the river thinking A high could be good 9% of the time here or something like that...

God, I too am an idiot. And I like to berate the fish sometimes. There I said it...

C-Dog

[/ QUOTE ]

I only ever berate the fish in live games, and usually its only tossing chips at them when I check raise them.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I put in raises on big streets as an outright bluff and get called by horribly weak hands that still beat mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop doing this except for on rare occasions against an opponent who you know is both capable and likely to fold a better hand (probably about as common as an albino tiger). If you never ever did it at 5/10 and below you wouldn't be going far wrong. I suspect at higher limits it becomes a more useful weapon.

Cartman