Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 10:28 PM

Default AQo bizarro hand

Only 20 hands on the villain, but he's been loose preflop and aggro postflop. This is his first raise.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

Well huh. Pax says the flop may be a fold (but he'd call anyway), but I think the guy's treating this like a blind steal and doesn't necessarily have a hand. What would you suggest for a line here? I don't hate how I played it but I'm open to suggestions.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:23 PM

Default Re: AQo bizarro hand

just call down, perhaps raising the river.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Only 20 hands on the villain, but he's been loose preflop and aggro postflop. This is his first raise.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (4.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

Well huh. Pax says the flop may be a fold (but he'd call anyway), but I think the guy's treating this like a blind steal and doesn't necessarily have a hand. What would you suggest for a line here? I don't hate how I played it but I'm open to suggestions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was the flop call-to-peel or a call-with-intent-to-raise-the-turn?
Old 09-09-2005, 11:31 PM

Raising the turn is lame imo. If you are worried about a flush draw, he is probably freerolling you so it still makes no sense to raise there. If he has QQ or JJ he will just muck it. Once the turn comes down an ace you have to decide if calling down is best or if raising the river is best. In this case I would just call down. If the board were A922 on the turn I would raise the river for sure.

Brad
Old 09-09-2005, 11:31 PM

This guy is passive preflop. Fold the flop. Don't raise the turn.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:47 PM

On the flop, you're crushed by a lot of villain's legitimate 3-betting range (AA/KK/AK), have 3 outs against QQ and 6 against JJ/TT, and are splitting with AQ/AJ/AT. So fold.

If you think BB is in blind defense mode (or is just a LAG), then use a WA/WB line and just call down.

For those considering raising the river, what are you doing if villain 3-bets? I don't like calling, but i also don't like folding for one more bet. Does this push us towards just calling the river?
Old 09-09-2005, 11:49 PM

Looks like AK to me. Get out of there ghostrider.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:01 AM

I don't like the flop call. Kings have you dead, Aces, AK have you practically dead, QQ has you drawin to 3 outs which would not justify a flop call. If he had JJ, TT the flop call would be thin or -ev. I choose your line second after folding the flop.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the flop call. Kings have you dead, Aces, AK have you practically dead, QQ has you drawin to 3 outs which would not justify a flop call. If he had JJ, TT the flop call would be thin or -ev. I choose your line second after folding the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is fine if he has a legitamite 3-bet hand, but a couple things put some doubt in my mind. First, it was folded to him as the big blind, so if he's gonna see a flop he may as well take a last stand and try to take the initiative (which I duly yielded). Second, it only costs him two bets to 3-bet me, which may loosen his standards further, I dunno. I thought that was enough for me to take a pseudo-WA/WB line (even though we both likely had outs), and when the A came I figured I'd make a stand, intending to fold to a 3-bet. His stop-and-go with the third spade on the river prompted a call.

And here's the playout: <font color="white">Villain had A5s. Jerk.</font>