Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Re: I hate this, playing defense with AA

Since I underplayed my hand on the flop, I sort of put myself in this situation. Giving the SB credit for at least some kind of thinking he could be trying to push me off my overcards w/ a 9. He might also have a monster. So I decided to just call. Nut job now 3 bets and the SB just calls. Now what?
Old 08-29-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I decide to 3 bet if the SB folds and call planning to c/r the turn if the SB calls, the SB calls, so I just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird, I would do the opposite; I'd reraise if SB called the flop raise. I want my extra money now thank you, and I can't predict what a nutjob would do on the turn. (Unless he is the type of nutjob to bet the turn no matter what.)

I'd stick with your plan and 3 bet the turn.
1) You may still be ahead.
2) Nutjob, though he may be crazy, could draw to a lot of hands with the odds he'll be getting if you call the turn.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:29 PM

Stick with your plan.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since I underplayed my hand on the flop, I sort of put myself in this situation. Giving the SB credit for at least some kind of thinking he could be trying to push me off my overcards w/ a 9. He might also have a monster. So I decided to just call. Nut job now 3 bets and the SB just calls. Now what?

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol, what a nightmare of a hand!! Flop play: Once the small blind called the flop raise cold, I think that should have made you even more likely to 3 bet since you have two likely customers tied to the pot now. I wouldve been more likely to go for a checkraise on the turn if the smallblind folded since an aggressive player will bet the turn no matter what card hits since he only has one opponent standing between him and the pot. On the turn. Once the small blind checkraises the aggressive player, you should either 3 bet and to put pressure on the player behind you, or fold. I would grit my teeth and 3 bet, and i would probably check the river if i didnt improve. Given that you just called and the cutoff 3 bet the turn, and the small blind just called the 3 bet, you should just call it down and see what the hell is going on. Folding in this large pot, when you have no idea where you stand is just not an option, and capping the turn when you dont know where you stand would be excessive.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:32 PM

It looks like the SB might have been making an isolation move with A6/Q9 or something, and since you still haven't really represented your hand yet, and who knows what to put the nutjob on (would he coldcall preflop with 43s?), I think you're ahead enough to call here and one bet on the river.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:49 PM

3 bet the flop so nutjob can cap it. If SB calls 2 more, he'll no doubt check the turn. You can lead, nutjob will raise again and what the SB does then gives you a good idea of where he's at. If he comes back with a c/r 3 bet, yikes.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:28 PM

I played this badly, I should have either 3 bet the flop or the turn.

Anyway I called the 3-bet, planning on calling 1 bet on the river.

The river was the J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

We checked to the nut job who bet and we both called.

Nut job shows K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for K high and SB shows T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for TP on the flop and MHIG.