Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 08-22-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Has anyone been to the Trop recently?

I went down to AC friday night with a friend to enjoy some free drinks and 2-4 poker. We checked out the House of Blues room and had a great time, I even doubled my money. The dealers are friendly, the players are sociable. The only problem I had was their confusing moving button rule.

But after that we decided to go check out the Trop again, we used to go there every weekend and would always have a great time.

But this time, it seems to have rapidly gone downhill. I played 2-4 and 4-8 and both games were pure chaos. I don't mean it was just table of maniacs capping every round. It was just every table filled with people either bitching about how they have no luck or assholes acting out of turn every chance they got.

I honestly felt bad for the dealers because these people seemed to be derailing the games on purpose, and to make matters worse they were blaming it on the dealers and stiffing them whenever they won a pot.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm not sure if I'll ever consider playing there again and just stick to the Borg and the HOB.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Has anyone been to the Trop recently?

[ QUOTE ]
But this time, it seems to have rapidly gone downhill. I played 2-4 and 4-8 and both games were pure chaos. I don't mean it was just table of maniacs capping every round. It was just every table filled with people either bitching about how they have no luck or assholes acting out of turn every chance they got.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is a problem? sounds profitable to me. I've only been playing at the Trop for about a year, and its always been like this for me.
Bottom of the barrel players (same with the Taj I might add) who are chronic donators.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2005, 07:55 PM

I was at the Trop last Tues-Thurs and enjoyed it. I dont play that low, but I did notice the 1-2 NL players were stiffing the dealers left and right too. As a whole, the room seemed well run to me. The 2-5 game was juicy and stayed juicy well after the sun had risen!

I also checked out the 10/20 O8/stud 8 split game at the Taj and enjoyed that a lot too.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:52 PM

I was in town for a couple of days last week. The Taj players are typically more in a gambling mood, but some are depressing to sit with. The HOB 1-5 Stud game I was playing in was very friendly to my amazement. The Borgata 10 games were looser during the week than on Saturday, when regulars are the majority players in the games.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And this is a problem? sounds profitable to me. I've only been playing at the Trop for about a year, and its always been like this for me.
Bottom of the barrel players (same with the Taj I might add) who are chronic donators.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasnt really bitching about how profitable the games are, I've typically had some of my best nights playing there.

I was just saying how unenjoyable it was to have to sit next to a drunk old guy who says "I can't win a [censored] hand" for 2 hours, have the 2 guys at the table blatantly playing each others hands, one guy who has no idea whats going on, and a dealer who's clearly overwhelmed by the fact that the rest of the players at the table don't understand how to act in turn.

It's a nice room, and i've never had a complaint about the staff but it seems to be attracting all the worst of poker player society recently.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I was just saying how unenjoyable it was to have to sit next to a drunk old guy who says "I can't win a [censored] hand" for 2 hours, have the 2 guys at the table blatantly playing each others hands, one guy who has no idea whats going on, and a dealer who's clearly overwhelmed by the fact that the rest of the players at the table don't understand how to act in turn.

It's a nice room, and i've never had a complaint about the staff but it seems to be attracting all the worst of poker player society recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really have to start playing at the Trop again.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It was just every table filled with people either bitching about how they have no luck or assholes acting out of turn every chance they got.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like it can't be correct to generalize a poker room's clientele like this, but actually, in my limited sample size, I've noticed the same thing. One of my first visits to the Tropicana was just like this. I was just donking around 2/4 with my gf trying to have some fun, and everyone was so grumpy with terrible attitudes. Players yelling at other players, whining over the cards, just complaining all night long.

On a few return trips, it's been better, but not always by much.

Granted you do run into this crap everywhere, but I've never seen it quite as bad as I have there.