Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 01:50 AM

Default Fold the turn or call down?

Villain is a TAG.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.20 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.20 BB

Looking back at the hand, the raise on the turn reeks of strength. If his hand is good enough to wait until the turn to raise, I am in pretty bad shape. I dont have the odds to call with 5 outs let alone 3. If he was raising the turn on some sort of hand like Axh then his hearts got there on the river, so a fold seems in order somewhere along the way.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:24 AM

Default Re: Fold the turn or call down?

Preflop call is good, if you can play postflop.

Postflop, I play this very passively, likely check/calling the flop and turn, betting only if he checks through on the previous street (also lead/folding the river is a viable option). If you pair up, go for the c/r...

The thing here is you need his hands that didn't hit to bluff at the pot so you can make money off of him when he misses. Leading into an UTG raiser whom you think is TAG is not generally a smart idea unless you want an expensive showdown with a borderline hand. If you do decide to lead (which I am not too fond of) you need to be able to fold to a raise and I hate doing this against someone capable of a bluff raise or raise with something like AT here.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:47 PM

I would call the turn raise since I most likely have at least 3 outs, maybe 5 and villain could be raising for a free showdown with 99, JJ, or QQ although I'd have to question why on the higher end of that range.

I think the river bet means you're toast and I don't think you're good even 1 in 8.2 against a decent TAG.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:19 PM

What about checking and calling all the way with te weak king? This way a TAG opponent would also valuebet pocketpairs on the river that we beat. (not the best example on this on board, TT and QQ got there) Also, if an ace comes up on the river, and he bets we can fold.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:35 PM

I have to agree with the others here. If you are ahead then he probably has 2-3 outs so a more passive line is fine.

Lost Wages