Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: River advice needed, party $30/$60.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1, if you specifically know the player doesn't run big river bluffs then anything he's raising for value beats you. However, I wouldn't be too surprised to see K-high if you call against many aggressive players, so call.
Hand 2, your hand is basically face up and he's checkraising, I think he has to have 2pair or better. Fold.
Hand 3, when he calls your turn donkbet it looks like he's going to showdown. When he then raises the river I don't see what you're ahead of. Fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

you call hand one but fold hand two? there are alot more sensible hands that beat you in one. folding hand two against a loose player or even a TAG would be a big mistake IMO. I also believe your third level thinking about hand two is way off, there is no way your opponent can definately put you on a big ace the way the hand played out.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also believe your third level thinking about hand two is way off, there is no way your opponent can definately put you on a big ace the way the hand played out.

[/ QUOTE ]
wtf else bets that river?
Old 07-12-2005, 04:13 PM

i pretty much call hands one and two 100% of the time.... wrong?

hand 1, blind wars need to be called down with TPGK everytime i think

hand 2, your hand is basically face up, but i've seen people do stupid crazy things so gotta call here with TPTK
Old 07-12-2005, 04:19 PM

hands 1 and 2 are automatic payoffs for me. ESPECIALLY hand 2... that CR is wierd (the guy who wants to threebet here??). hand 3 is a fold... who knows why he called the turn with QJ... maybe he had AA and played it really good.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hand 3 is a fold... who knows why he called the turn with QJ... maybe he had AA and played it really good.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think he has the case ten a lot here.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:22 PM

Hand 1: It's close between calling and folding, but I would call unless you know your opponent pretty well. In general, I don't like folding for one bet heads up on the river against an aggressive opponent.

Hand 2: Must call. I would not be surprised if EP turned over a weak A.

Hand 3: Just how shorthanded is this? 3 players? 6 players? I think this changes the dynamics of this hand quite a bit. In general, I don't like completing in the SB when it's folded to me and generally prefer a raise-or-fold strategy. And if this guy is overaggressive, I wouldn't check-raise the flop either. Unless he's completely stupid, this check-raise will make him fold hands that you would prefer him to keep on bluffing all the way. But anyway, you made it to the river using your strategy and are now debating what to do after he raises. This is a tough situation. He'll have a J here very often and a T some of the time, but you only need him to bluff 1 out of 11 times in order for your call to be correct. So call this one too.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:17 PM

Hand #1 is the most difficult of the three, but I would call expecting him to roll-over a 4 a decent % of the time. But if he's aggressive, I would expect him to bluff raise the river a certain % of the time too. Your holding is solid even though there are very few kickers you can beat.

Hand #2. Even in small stakes, I've had players try to bully bluff check-raise the river heads up, and I imagine it happens more frequently in middle and higher stakes. You have too much hand to give up and that's an awfully strange river card to raise on. You're given better than 10.5:1 odds. Don't fold this given these odds. In addition, if you happen to beaten, you are given information about your opponent. I imagine if you play 30/60 often enough, you'll bump into the same characters over and over again.

Hand #3 I dislike how the hand played out. Raise or fold pre-flop first. If you take the complete/call the pre-flop raise line, then call the flop and turn. You can judge whether or not to lead the river. By check-raising the flop you're getting worse hands to fold which you don't want. As you played it, I would call the river and hope he's either (a) bluffing or (b) chopping with another 9.

Garland
Old 07-13-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Results

I called all three rivers, and lost all three.

Thanks for the responses. I really felt like a payoff station that session, but I guess my hand doesn't have to be good very often to make some of these calls correct.

Hand #1: Button's A2o is good.

Hand #2: EP shows KK, wtf? I never put him on that.

Hand #3: BB's AJo is good.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:47 AM

Haven't looked at results yet. In all hands I pay off a river raise, however....

Hands 1 and 3, I check the river. In hand 3, I might even check the turn.