Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 08:58 PM

Default A-Q in EP to MP

First Hand of a 5 table tournament. Blinds are 50-100, everyone has 4,000 in chips. I'm dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in 3rd position. The other two who act before me fold. I raise to 300, next guy folds, next guy calls. Everyone else folds to the small blind who goes all in. I end up folding as does the original caller of the raise.

After analyzing this situation more I wondered if I did the wrong thing, this being my thinking:

I know I most likely have the caller beat. If he has any legimate hand that has me beat, he will reraise. I put the small blind on a pair smaller than Jacks or at best AK. I don't see him raising all in with hands that have me killed (QQ, KK, AA). I see him reraising to find out what I'm holding, hoping for a reraise from me or a flat call so he can make a big bet on the flop.

What do you think about calling here? I'm either out or have a huge chip stack, and usually A-Q isn't a hand you want to be getting all your money in with.

Just curious.

Also what are people's opinions about calling with weak hands K7 and A8 in late position in an unraised pot, with 2-4 players in?
Old 07-10-2005, 11:22 PM

Default Re: A-Q in EP to MP

You've got a 40xbb stack. There's no reason to gamble and call here unless you've got some note that says this guy pushs any two over and over again at the start of the tourney.

It's a bad idea to play A8 / K7 because your reverse implied odds are so high.