Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Is this flop call too thin? JJ 2/4

player on my right seems fairly aggressive, everyone else are calling stations. Given this i think that i had the odds to peel one off on the flop. I'm getting $2 to 32 or 1 to 16. I figure that my jacks are good (2 outs) as well as the backdoor straight draw (.5 outs). I think this is a little shy of the correct pot odds to call, but i'm pretty certain i have the implied odds.

Also, what do you think about the flop check? I thought that i wasn't getting rid of more than one opponent with a flop bet. If i bet, what do i do against on turn UI? this is an issue i've been struggling with a bit recently.

thanks
-light
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls $2 (All-In), Button calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

River: (14.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls $7.50 (All-In), Hero calls.

Final Pot: 22.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Jd Js (three of a kind, jacks).
UTG has As Qd (two pair, aces and queens).
MP1 has Ks 2c (one pair, twos).
Outcome: Hero wins 22.25 BB. </font>
Old 05-25-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Is this flop call too thin? JJ 2/4

I usually bet out on that flop. The call isn't thin at all, taking into account implied odds. Going 5-way to the turn, if you hit a jack, your are going to make quite a few more BB's. The turn c/r is gutsy, but I like it.

You also don't have a backdoor straight draw.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:07 PM

oops, thought there was a T on flop, so no straight draw
Old 05-25-2005, 06:19 PM

I'd definitely bet out. You're likely to be raised, and you definitely have plenty of implied odds to call 1 back to you. Nice hand.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually bet out on that flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you do on the turn if noone raised on the flop and the turn left you UI? River?

I get lost as what to do in these situations. Seems I continue to bet out on the turn and river because noone shows any aggression, but still find someone calling with a weak Ace.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What would you do on the turn if noone raised on the flop and the turn left you UI? River?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet until you encounter resistance, then either call down or fold, depending on how much you believe the raiser. Don't assume an ace is out there until someone proves it to you.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:49 PM

thats what I figure you do, but seems like I've been tossing chips away doing this.

Thanks