Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Hockey officially done for the season

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

One of the best sports to watch live though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best with a bunch of guys and a bunch of beer.

Even live, hockey should not be played in any city where it can't be played outdoors too. Part of the NHL's problem is expanding to cities where no one has a clue what a blue line is. There are no fans there. If you don't have ice rinks in your parks, you shouldn't have hockey in your arena.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this is only partially true.

Atlanta has a really good turnout for every home game the Thrashers play.

The reason being I think is because Atlanta is where all the New Englanders come when they get sick of it up there.

(Seriously. There's like a 3-1 ratio regarding people moving here from other states)
Old 02-16-2005, 03:49 PM

Attendance figures for 2003-2004

Atlanta is ranked 22. Sure its not at the bottom but they are close.
I for one will miss the rest of the season and was hoping to be able to see a few games this year. I can't understand how some people find watching hockey on t.v. is boring but watching baseball is exciting. Of course live hockey is always great but I enjoy watching the games on t.v. as well, and I can never watch a full nine inning game of baseball even during the playoffs. I can understand people have different preferences but to say that baseball is more exciting than hockey just seems crazy to me.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:49 PM

It's because it's difficult to follow the puck on tv.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i like hockey, but oh well.

they are going to have a hard time winnign fans back.

[/ QUOTE ]

They'll have a much easier time than any other sport that tried this crap.

scrub
Old 02-16-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Attendance figures for 2003-2004

Atlanta is ranked 22. Sure its not at the bottom but they are close.
I for one will miss the rest of the season and was hoping to be able to see a few games this year. I can't understand how some people find watching hockey on t.v. is boring but watching baseball is exciting. Of course live hockey is always great but I enjoy watching the games on t.v. as well, and I can never watch a full nine inning game of baseball even during the playoffs. I can understand people have different preferences but to say that baseball is more exciting than hockey just seems crazy to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the hockey team gets a 4 times larger turnout than the Hawks do. Mainly because the Hawks are horrible.

The statement that is absolutely true in ANY sport:

Build a winning team and your stadium seats will be full.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:07 PM

Aren't they going to have more NASCAR in Canada in the coming years? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

One of the best sports to watch live though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best with a bunch of guys and a bunch of beer.

Even live, hockey should not be played in any city where it can't be played outdoors too. Part of the NHL's problem is expanding to cities where no one has a clue what a blue line is. There are no fans there. If you don't have ice rinks in your parks, you shouldn't have hockey in your arena.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this is only partially true.

Atlanta has a really good turnout for every home game the Thrashers play.

The reason being I think is because Atlanta is where all the New Englanders come when they get sick of it up there.

(Seriously. There's like a 3-1 ratio regarding people moving here from other states)

[/ QUOTE ]
\

This reminds me of Slapshot where Paul Newman concocts the florida retirement community thing. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2005, 04:11 PM

Goodenow overplayed his hand big time.

Every CBA agreement in the Bettman/Goodenow era has come at the 11th hour with Bettman caving into the NHPL.

I'd bet my bankroll that Goodenow expected that to happen again.

Up here in Edmonton we are dancing in the street we could not afford to keep the Oilers here unless there is a salary cap

The owners last offer of 44.5Mill cap would have been marginal for the Oilers, I'm glad the NHLPA rejected it.

They will never see an offer that good again.

The Oilers made a modest profit of less than 1% of revenues with 97% of the tickets sold all year.

Any buiness that is break even at 97% capacity needs to be burned down and restarted.

I'm glad this has happened, this will be good for the long term health of the professional game in Canada and marginal US markets that are hockey hotbeds like Minnesota etc.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 02-16-2005, 04:27 PM

after a while, you can tell where the puck is and where its going without actually seeing.

A guy skates along the near boards up to centre on a breakout and fires down along the boards into the opposing end. The goalie begins to come out behind the net and slides his blocker up to the top of his stick. Due to the camera angle, you can't actually see the puck, but when the goalie comes out, where the fuck do you think it's gonna go? On net?

(actually, I once allowed a goal on a fake like this. he "aimed" for the corner to dump it in and I came out to play it, except he fired it right on net).
Old 02-16-2005, 04:35 PM

Yes, I can follow the action and I know where the puck is. I personally have no problem following the action. I've played hockey for 20 years. The general, non-hockey-playing public has a difficult time following the puck and their numbers far exceed the number who play.