Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2004, 02:34 AM

Default Flopped flush against TA-N, am i throwing money around?

Hey,
this just happened to me tonight, and I'm wondering if and when i should give the him credit for the nuts.
Button is 15/6 over 250 hands with aggro factor 1.63 without preflop included.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (12.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>...??

Is this a bad play? (Second nuts aren't always good)
I really liked the three bet when i did it, but i cant imagine what kind of hands he'd be playing that i can beat. Advice please.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:34 AM

Default Re: Flopped flush against TA-N, am i throwing money around?

I call the river raise. The flop aggression could mean several things, but on the turn anyone paying attention will smell a made flush. Since he then raises on the river, he must be quite confident in his hand. Any flush you beat is a 10-high holding; maybe a 78s but isn't Axs much more likely? His aggro factor is if anything a bit low, so that just adds to your worries.

Finally: when you're good, the river 3-bet gets you one extra bet, maybe 2 if he caps, so let's say 1.3 or so. When you're behind, you get capped and must call, so you lose 2 bets.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:49 AM

I slow down too soon sometimes, but I do think you probably overplayed this. At some point you've got to figure that Button has a flush, and since he's tight preflop, he doesn't have the same range of suited hands (even on the button) that some players do. There are quite a few suited aces he could have. There are a number of possible suited connecters too, but he might not push those quite as hard (especially as they get lower).

To me, the river 3-bet seems a bit much.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:06 PM

Bet the flop. You set up a checkraise that crushed the field. This might have been OK with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] but with the second nut diamond you don't have to worry about protecting your hand (the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is obviously immume to pressure).

The turn raise probably means flush. With KQJ all out of circulation it is about 50% that two diamonds that this player would limp on the button include the ace. Cease fire and call down. Further bets/raises into the possible nuts are giving 2-1 odds.