Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Do I call this river bet?

Villian is extremely loose (87% vp$ip) and fairly passive. He had bet when scare cards came quite often with nothing. Still, with a four card flush on the board, am I good often enough to call this bet?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
2 folds</font>, CO calls, Hero calls,
1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (3.33 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)</font>
BB checks, CO checks, Hero bets</font>, BB folds, CO calls.

Turn: (2.66 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img](2 players)</font>
CO bets</font>, Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

River: (6.66 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)</font>
CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.66 BB
Old 10-21-2005, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Do I call this river bet?

Raise PF. I also call the river if you've seen him bet at scare cards with nothing, even if not I've seen loose passives value bet something like a set here. It'd be very profitable for him to bet everytime 4 spades came out if you folded worse than a flush.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise PF. I also call the river if you've seen him bet at scare cards with nothing, even if not I've seen loose passives value bet something like a set here. It'd be very profitable for him to bet everytime 4 spades came out if you folded worse than a flush.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-21-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It'd be very profitable for him to bet everytime 4 spades came out if you folded worse than a flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I've seen this logic many times before and would like to take a minute to point out why it is flawed.

There is always dead money in the pot. Everyone is entitled to some share of that money. Therefore, in virtually every situation, someone can do something that is profitable, regardless of how you play your hand.

Don't do this or your opponent can do this and show a profit. This other thing is bad because he can counter with this for a profit. If you didn't do anything that allowed your opponent to profit, you'd be left with nothing. Not, you'd be left with "fold". No, you'd just sit there and have your hand time out every time because all the options in front of you would allow your opponents some strategy that would be profitable.

So, don't worry about your opponent's profit. Worry about your own. Is the call +EV, or not? That's it.

good luck.
eric