Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 09:03 AM

Default PP25NL, I Am So Weak

Hey, the board was paired. I read 2+2 post after post about boats where posters say "That river push is just some donk with a made flush more often than not...." So I chickened on the river.

No significant reads. Basic 25NL table, pretty loose.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed)converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">BB ($30.5)</font>
UTG ($20.58)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($38.92)</font>
MP1 ($7.9)
MP2 ($13.49)
MP3 ($24.4)
CO ($5.5)
Button ($24.65)
<font color="#C00000">SB ($28)</font>

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $0.90, BB calls $0.75, UTG calls $0.75.

Standard raise, to 4xBB+1BB/limper, rounded to nearest buck because I'm too lazy to type in the pennies.

Flop: ($4) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.25</font>, BB calls $0.25, UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, SB calls $2.75, BB calls $2.75, UTG folds.

Weak?

Turn: ($13.25) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.25</font>, BB calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, SB calls $2.75, BB calls $2.75.

Weak, but I figured I'm the one drawing at this point.

River: ($22.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.25</font>, BB calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $10</font>, BB calls $9.75, Hero calls $7.

Weak.

Final Pot: $52.25
Old 06-29-2005, 09:27 AM

Default Re: PP25NL, I Am So Weak

Pot the flop, the more expensive you make it for the flush draws the better, especially since you have the A of hearts. The rest of the hand is very weird, and I think I would be inclined to slow down after the flop. Reading through the hand the SB and BB could already have made their hands on the flop, the 0.25 bets from SB are very strange as well as the calls from BB.
"With high poket pairs of AA and KK you are either going to win a small pot or lose a huge one"- Super System
Old 06-29-2005, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...rounded to nearest buck because I'm too lazy to type in the pennies

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly, you need to move up to .50/1 or 1/2 to avoid this nasty problem.

To the hand, raise more on the flop. At least one of these donks is probably on a flush draw (probably the minbettor). With your call, the pot is $5 and you're only raising $2.75 on top. I would make it at least $5 to go, maybe more due to the number of hitchhikers in the hand.

On the turn, I don't really like your raise. I would probably call to keep the pot small. With the raise, you reopen the betting so if one of your opponents has a flush or boat, he can come over top of you and shut you out of hitting your flush on the river (which might not be good).

The river is read-dependent. Against donks, I'll put it in there and hope I don't see 32o and against tight players, I'll just call figuring any raise I make will only get called by a boat.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...rounded to nearest buck because I'm too lazy to type in the pennies

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly, you need to move up to .50/1 or 1/2 to avoid this nasty problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey, 20 more bucks and I'm moving to the 50's, then it will only be an issue half the time. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I would make it at least $5 to go, maybe more due to the number of hitchhikers in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Definitely agree about hitchhiker count, I should have jacked it.

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn, I don't really like your raise.... you reopen the betting so if one of your opponents has a flush or boat, he can come over top of you....

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point, thanks. I raised to try to hear from a flush, but it would really have sucked to get re-raised all in.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:35 AM

Wow. Definitely raise that flop more since that min bet usually means a draw from a bad player who will chase it with incorrect odds. I'm raising to $5 at least. If you think you're drawing on the turn, just call. Why give him a chance to put the rest in if you're behind? River, I actually think is okay. Although I'd raise more initially and then probably call his push. No point in raising only to $3 in a $20+ pot.