Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: How low would you go...

[ QUOTE ]
Lloyd,

Your equation *is* flawed, because the assumption is that the short stack will bust first. While you can't really count on it, it will happen ~90% of the time (as he'll be forced into at least 3 all ins by pot odds as a random hand) and therefore the hero has 500K locked up, not 250. You can consider it 450K if you'd like, but you still need waaaaay more than 40.9% to call.

BTW, this is from one of the, like, two WPT events I've ever seen on TV and the guy's call was *horrible*.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this was from a WPT event that I re-watched the other day. Personally I think the guys call was very interesting, not something I would do. Hence this post. The numbers may not be 100 % accurate, but they are close enough. If the BB would've had a little smaller stack I think the call would've been a must, but with 1M I think I'd want a bit better hand than the one he had. With more than 1M I'd want an even better hand since we're so much more likely to survive the short stack. But 1M is starting to get borderline with those blinds, since it's not impossible that the short stack will double/tripple up on the next hand, although unlikely, it will still suck big time.

Anyway, thought it would be interesting to know what the "math" says that we should do. For those interested it was from the Doyle Brunson blah blah, I think it was season 3? The BB called the SB (Carlos Mortensen) A5o push with TT without too much hesitation, if any at all, and doubled up.