Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 10:32 AM

Default WLLH: is its premise untrue?

WLLH's premise is that low limit games are filled with people who generally call way more than they should. Lots of people staying in the pot when they shouldn't.

Well - although a newbie - after about 1,000 hands at $2-$4 and $3-$6 tables, I noticed that only around 2, maybe 3, people pay to see the flop usually.

So, is Jones' premise sound for online poker?
Old 08-08-2005, 10:38 AM

Default Re: WLLH: is its premise untrue?

yes. there are many players who call way too often. preflop and postflop. 3-5 players to the flop and 2-3 players to the river easily qualify for a loose game.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yes. there are many players who call way too often. preflop and postflop. 3-5 players to the flop and 2-3 players to the river easily qualify for a loose game.

[/ QUOTE ]

2-3 players on the river as in 2-3 opponents or 2-3 players? 2-3 players on the river has to be the minimum to see a river u know

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2-3 players on the river as in 2-3 opponents or 2-3 players? 2-3 players on the river has to be the minimum to see a river u know

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

i ment what i wrote: 2-3 players. in good games there is far less often a show down than in 2/4 3/6 online games.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not qualify this as a loose game.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:39 AM

yes, but less so for 2/4 and 3/6 than like .5/1 or 1/2. 2/4 online and 3/6 online are MUCH harder than the live versions, which resemble play money tables a lot of the time
Old 08-08-2005, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yes, but less so for 2/4 and 3/6 than like .5/1 or 1/2. 2/4 online and 3/6 online are MUCH harder than the live versions, which resemble play money tables a lot of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that seems to be the case. Live low limit has been much looser for me than online.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:44 AM

I suppose it depends on your site as well... I play Pacific and I've been at plenty of $2/4 tables with an average of 6 people to the flop.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:48 AM

A couple of thoughts:

1. Work on table selection; if you look hard enough, you can absolutely find the kinds of tables Lee Jones is talking about.

2. Read Small Stakes Hold'em by Ed Miller as soon as possible. Read is again. Don't read Lee Jones again, except as an intellectual exercise to go back and find all the mistakes. That can be fun.

3. You need to realize how online and live games differ. Many of these intro. small stakes hold'em books were written before internet poker became so sophisticated, and are aimed at live games which are much, much worse than the online levels. Many players here, for example, will play 4 or more tables online at one limit. I, for example, play 4 tables of $3/6. Online, I guess I'm a "$3/6 Player," though in live games I play 10/20 - 20/40. So perhaps the phenomenon you're noticing is a function of the "dilation" that occurs to the limits online.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:52 AM

Sammy,

I think Jones's Book is great.

It will keep you out of trouble, and you should break around even, depending what level you are playing and how good your table selection is.

That said, I think to be a 1BB/100+ winner, you will need to learn more skills.

Play hands, lurk here, post relevant hands, and read SSH at a comfortable pace.

It is a long process, but lots of fun.