Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 11:18 AM

Default AJs in MP vs tight player

2500 person tournament. 300 or so remain. Blinds 200/400 Avg. stack 6000.

Hero has been stealing his share of blinds and taking many uncontested. Hero is a big stack at this point with 12k

Villian is an uber-rock and has barely played a hand. I have seen him smooth call a steal raise with AQs. I have also seem him smooth call QQ. Villain has alot of chips 20k.

Hero opens in MP2 for 1200 with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Villian cold calls in the CO. BB calls.

5k pot
Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB checks. Hero checks. Villian bets 1k. BB folds. Hero calls. His flop bet was small but at this point his range is narrow in my mind. TT, 99, QK, AQ. Mabye JJ or KK.

7k pot
Turn: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Hero checks. Villian bets 1k. Hero calls.

9k pot
River: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Hero checks. Villian bets 1.7k. Hero calls.

It seems like this hand played itself but I wanted some feedback. Anyone find a raise or fold anywhere here?
Old 11-30-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Re: AJs in MP vs tight player

[ QUOTE ]

Hero has been stealing his share of blinds and taking many uncontested.

[/ QUOTE ]

this changes the range of uber tights hand drastically, possibly KJo and maybe QJ or QT of clubs. I would definitely have included any KJs (for only 2 more BB's) even if you had not been LAG.

I would have bet post flop. You checked and villain bets 1000 into a pot of 3800 (plus antes? - not sure where you got the 5k pot amount from) post flop (your check makes it difficult to identify his range now, ATs or A9s may even be added to his range - playing off of his table image and the postflop checks).

Turn check/call very iffy, i can't believe you think you have more than 4 outs based on his table image, unless you include KK in his range then you have 3 more A's as outs (pot is $5800 - again not sure where you got 7k from). You simply do not have the odds to call a 4 outer, add uber tight to the equation and a fold would be right here.

River, check again? probably could have showndown for 1k bet here, now you have to call off 1.7k of your remaining 2800 chips. Based on the way you played this, i have no choice but to call.

Your checking of every street was horrible (especially postflop, CB would be the right move). The hand did not play itself. You let yourself get into a tough situation with bad play and now you have to make a hard decision on EACH street.

**Now that i think about it, I'd add AK clubs (possibly AKo) to his range of hands in which case you are still beat.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Re: AJs in MP vs tight player

Sorry if my pot # were a bit off. Looks like you got it more accurately.

[ QUOTE ]
I would have bet post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I am very far behind his range but might get a cheap or free card to make my hand. If I bet here I am likely to be raised or bluff raised.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn check/call very iffy, i can't believe you think you have more than 4 outs based on his table image, unless you include KK in his range then you have 3 more A's as outs (pot is $5800 - again not sure where you got 7k from). You simply do not have the odds to call a 4 outer, add uber tight to the equation and a fold would be right here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 8 outs to a straight - I am not giving him credit if the flush hits. 3 Aces might be outs. Certainly getting odds on the turn. Cannot fold the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
River, check again? probably could have showndown for 1k bet here, now you have to call off 1.7k of your remaining 2800 chips. Based on the way you played this, i have no choice but to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the ace might give me the pot but I also thought it might give him two pair. I could see mabye betting 1200 here and folding to a raise but thats almost as expense and I dont get to showdown.

[ QUOTE ]
Your checking of every street was horrible (especially postflop, CB would be the right move). The hand did not play itself. You let yourself get into a tough situation with bad play and now you have to make a hard decision on EACH street.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any one else have other thoughts?