Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2005, 12:49 PM

Default How did I play Big Slick here?

What do you think of my play here? No reads on anyone.

I've been concentrating on my Ring game play and am realizing how important it is to play AK correctly. There are several moves I made that I'm not sure about.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

Hero ($55.25)
Button ($57.35)
SB ($25.1)
BB ($24.5)
UTG ($89.75)
UTG+1 ($34)
MP1 ($51.35)
MP2 ($49.5)
MP3 ($9.5)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25. UTG+1 posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $1.50, UTG+1 calls $1.50.

Flop: ($8.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($8.25) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $3</font>, Hero calls $3, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $6</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls $3, Hero calls $3.

River: ($26.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $8</font>, MP2 calls $8, Hero calls $8.

Final Pot: $50.25
Old 03-20-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Re: How did I play Big Slick here?

Looks fine. MP2 looks like he has an ace, and the BB might have a ten but if so then he played it very strange. There's too much money in the pot to fold to his shi[/b]tty bets.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:25 PM

Im leading out for 2/3 or the full pot. You'd be surprised how many times its folded, and if you get raised, you can let it go.
This is refering to the flop...
Old 03-20-2005, 02:25 PM

Seems like you're certainly beat, but priced in there. Can't really fold.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im leading out for 2/3 or the full pot. You'd be surprised how many times its folded, and if you get raised, you can let it go.
This is refering to the flop...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm - I'll normally wait for the turn to make that move if I'm not the preflop raiser, but that's an interesting play.

I do think that makes my turn decision more difficult when the ace hits, but that won't always happen.

I'm not saying I made the wrong play anywhere, but what bothers me is that all I did in this hand was call.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, he doesn't look beat to me. He has completely disguised the strength of his hand, and someone is making a very small bet at the river. If you are looking for a fold here getting 5-1 you need to examine your conceptions of how often this will be the best hand.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:02 PM

in position like that, i give strong consideration to making a re-raise pre-flop (depending on MP2's raising standards).
Old 03-20-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, he doesn't look beat to me. He has completely disguised the strength of his hand, and someone is making a very small bet at the river. If you are looking for a fold here getting 5-1 you need to examine your conceptions of how often this will be the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was check-raised by the BB after someone had already called his raise. It was also a minraise. That screams monster to me. And I never told him to fold. I said I think he's beat, but you're calling this anyway.

Also, assuming this is .25/.50, smallish bets don't necessarily mean weakness. People at these limits have no idea how to protect their hands. They literally have no concept of proper betting technique.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was check-raised by the BB after someone had already called his raise. It was also a minraise. That screams monster to me. And I never told him to fold. I said I think he's beat, but you're calling this anyway.

Also, assuming this is .25/.50, smallish bets don't necessarily mean weakness. People at these limits have no idea how to protect their hands. They literally have no concept of proper betting technique.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are giving these players far too much credit. AJ and AQ will raise this turn. I would have done it myself with AK. The way the hand was played, I give serious consideration to raising the river.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:19 PM

I play with these players every day. I'm not giving them a whole lot of credit. I'm not saying they wouldn't do this with AQ or AJ.. I'm saying they most certainly would do this with a ten. It could go either way, but after that raise I usually slow down. And once again I never said to fold.