Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2005, 09:26 PM

Default The importance of seat selection

Another thread got me thinking about seat selection, and it's impact on your bottom line. Most people have heard the following:

[ QUOTE ]
You make most of your money from the players 1 or 2 seats to your right. You lose most of your money to the players 1 or 2 seats to your left

[/ QUOTE ]

I propose we try to test this theory by showing where our EV comes from in various positions.

Pokertracker already tells us, for example, that we make .08 BB / 100 in the hijack, or .06 BB / 100 button + 5. What it doesn't tell us, is how much of that money comes from what other seats? How much do we make in the hijack from the player UTG? How much do we lose to the button?

I think the hijack is an interesting seat to examine because the two players left and right of us are not posting blinds. Anybody have any suggestions for how to make this calculation?

My hope is that this project will offer some more insight into the age-old questions of where to sit and how important seat selection is to your bottom line.

thanks,
eric