Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 02:12 AM

Default 6max and checkraising

I have a general question with regards to check-raising in short-handed games. How often are you guys doing it? Coming from off of ring games before moving to 6max, I usually limited my check-raises to all but the most choice situations (i.e. flop a huge hand with pf aggressor on my left ... EP check-raise when button raises & like to continuation bet etc).

Would there be more value in C/R more marginal hands - like top-pair ok kicker or even flush draws (with odds of course) into relatively small fields (3 .. maybe 4 people), not necessarily for pot manipulation purposes, but more for image? Or is the turnover at these 6max tables too high that no one will notice or care.

I just feel that, 90% of the time, an EP check from me is a definite "I have a marginal hand and will fold to aggression 50% of the time" and is inducing auto-bets from a lot of players ...

THis is against normal opponents of course ... maniacs and super trocks don't really fit in.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:29 AM

Default Re: 6max and checkraising

I'd post some questionable hands in SSSH. It will probably more helpful then general advice.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:49 AM

fetti,

check/raises are much more frequent in 6max. You hit the nail on the head when you said

[ QUOTE ]

I just feel that, 90% of the time, an EP check from me is a definite "I have a marginal hand and will fold to aggression 50% of the time" and is inducing auto-bets from a lot of players ...

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be c/r'ing a lot, especially in blind defense. FWIW, I tend to c/r any pair, FD or OESD in defense vs a weakish postflop player unless there's an A on the flop. Even then I still c/r a fair bit. You should also be c/r'ing with air occasionally so that villain is not correct to instantly fold without a pair.

best of luck,

Brad
Old 12-15-2005, 02:54 AM

FWIW, my c/r % at 6max is almost 2, with most of them being on the flop.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:35 AM

great response.

So how do you decide between a bet bet bet line and a c/r bet line?

Suppose you raise preflop with KQs in UTG+1, CO and button both class and BB completes. Flop comes K 5 2 rainbow giving you a pretty solid top pair ... bet bet? c/r if button is aggressive?

Does what you say mostly apply to flop or turn as well? I am hesitant to turn c/r with air ... even on favorable boards ... is this a move i need to start learning?
Old 12-15-2005, 03:39 AM

In the situation you described (EP raise, 2 callers) it would be best to just keep betting. I'm saying a lot of c/r's will become options when you are in blind defense specifically. Usually it will be a flop c/r, and almost exclusively HU. Also, I wouldn't c/r the turn with air very often at all. This would only work against very few opponents. If a turn c/r would make them fold, often a flop one would too, and it's cheaper to take a shot on the flop.