Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Home Poker Games Networking - Nice Idea?

My apologies if there's a better place to post this.

I'm proud to be an active member of a home poker society in Columbus, OH. I travel quite a bit, and have had to put a lot of leg work into finding local home games in various locations.

Wouldn't it be nice if any number of local poker societies were at least cognizant of one another and could therefore send referenced members to games in other cities? Is anybody else also wanting this to happen?

FNJ
Old 08-23-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Home Poker Games Networking - Nice Idea?

Doesn't this work?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:44 PM

I think it's a great idea and have thought about this idea also. If we could somehow network local home games, it would be great.

Implementing it is another story. Basically you would need a single point of contact for all the games in a region. A web site would not work very well since not very many players are online or want to search online for a game. My home game is listed on 2 of the biggest directories online and get very few players this route. I am thinking a phone based system similiar to a movie listings type thing. But a catch to that would be it would cost money....and we would not be able to legally collect dues (I don't think...any lawyers?).

Any other thoughts or ideas?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:59 PM

It's good for advertising games, but I think what is being discussed is to have a sort of regional home poker league networking multiple home games.

Also, I have my game listed at that site you listed and have had zero response.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:16 PM

I think this may meet the legal definition of "Racketeering". So be careful.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:23 PM

I have seen these poker listings, and as kodonnell states, they are frequently out of date with lots of expired games still on the calendar, and lots of new games that are NOT listed.

The group I'm part of uses Yahoo Groups as it's electronic meeting place. You must be screened or referenced in order to join, and by virtue of the size, a member can now find a game almost any night of the week in greater Columbus. I have just gotten in touch with a similar group in the Wash. DC Area and hope to have entree to games in that region.

If our referenced group was able to easily send referenced members to other groups that screen, the network would be broadened without any undesirable intrusions on any given home game.

It would be a big hassle to start any kind of NFP or for-profit group to do this. However, it might be worthwhile for a collection of regional groups that are in touch to band together organically.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Home Poker Games Networking - Nice Idea? (not for profit)

[ QUOTE ]
I think this may meet the legal definition of "Racketeering". So be careful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, no money could change hands, simply references from group to group to the effect of 'this player is a member of our network group and we endorse them as a courteous guest and poker devotee.'